Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JBL Logo Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: JBL Logo Trailer
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-24-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone special was telling me about seeing a JBL trailer at a theatre in Southern California.

A JBL Logo Trailer!!??

When did this happen? And who do I have to know to get these?

=====

Well well well...lookee here:

JBL Press Release

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - MARCH 5, 2002 - Theatre owners know how important quality sound is during a performance. Good sound can transport the moviegoer right into the film. With this in mind, JBL Professional has produced a visually exciting and sonically dramatic cinema trailer. In addition to letting the audience know they are listening to a JBL loudspeaker system, the trailer gives a theatre the opportunity to showcase their audio system with a brief preview of the phenomenal sound the audience is about to experience during the movie.

The 20-second trailer features a custom soundtrack created for JBL by Soundelux in Hollywood and was mixed at the Vine Street Studios. This trailer features both Dolby Digital EX and DTS soundtracks and is specifically designed to let the audience know that your theatre offers the latest in JBL Professional Cinema sound system technology. The visuals transport the theatre patron from the auditorium to behind the screen, exposing the JBL screen loudspeakers. Sound explodes from the screen into and across the auditorium through the surround loudspeakers.

The JBL trailer is now available to all theatres with a JBL sound system. For information on how to obtain the trailer, please contact Lyn Dean, Cinema Sales Representative at JBL Professional, telephone (818) 895-3406.

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-25-2003 02:26 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to my notes, a dts trailer track entitled 'jbllogo' existed prior to September of 1999.

--jhawk

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 03:53 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another trailer... [Smile]

We should start again the old post with the maximum number of logo and/or trailers before the feature!!!! [Smile]

Can someone describe this trailer?

Bye
A

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-25-2003 04:29 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...does anyone know where I can get trailers that say "this theatre uses an Altec Voice of the Theatre loudspeaker" and "our feature presentation is presented in glorious monophonic sound"?

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-25-2003 08:36 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott -- You can make that trailer yourself, right? [Wink]

Speaking of mono...Is anyone running sound snipes in front of Woody Allen's new movie?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 10:17 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Woody Allen movie here had the Dreamworks logo mono too... [Smile]

Bye
A

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
W.Allen's "Curse of the Jade Scorpion" was of course in mono but interestingly it's trailer was in stereo.

I've seen JBL's trailer only in one cinema here in Athens, (other theaters here feature JBL speakers but no trailer).
Nothing special, the screen breaks appart to reveal five speakers behind it. The trend here now is no logo trailers -either dolby or DTS before, or after [Wink] the picture.
C.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-25-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they give the trailers out, or do you have to buy them? Since JBL sells consumer audio as well as professional audio, they ought to GIVE those trailers out to any JBL-equipped theatre that wants them, as a marketing gimmick. [Cool]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-25-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a marketing kit from JBL with the trailers, poster and plaque which I have seen used mostly out of the USA. You can contact them through your dealer.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-26-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got around to ordering these today. I called the number in the press release. The lady I spoke with did not ask for a credit card or anything so I guess they provide them at no cost to theatres.

The trailers will be coming from a depot and I'm expecting a plaque to arrive separately from JBL.

I wonder how long the depot will take to process my order. They're going to my address in Fort Lauderdale so I should get them shortly after they ship out.

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-08-2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update -- I got a call today saying that a package arrived from JBL for me so I'm guessing that has to be either the trailers or the plaque(s). [Smile]

Please stand by. [eyes]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm...does anyone know where I can get trailers that say "this theatre uses an Altec Voice of the Theatre loudspeaker" and "our feature presentation is presented in glorious monophonic sound"?
The "glorious monophonic sound" idea is pretty cool. Reminds me of the "Back to Mono" buttons that I saw on the Phil Spector Christmas Album. Such a button came with the Phil Spector box set I bought years ago. All songs were mono on the 4-disc set.

Back on topic about the speaker advertisement trailer:

In the IMAX dome here in Huntsville, before one feature, when the sound system was mentioned, the lights behind the screen were turned on to show the speakers. Since most screens now are basically see-through if light is behind them, I'm surprised that technique hasn't been used when describing the speakers. Heck, instead of a trailer, just announce what kind of speakers are back there and have lights behind the screen that are switched on to highlight the speakers while the auditorium is dark. Has anyone ever seen this technique used in non-IMAX theatres? It would be different than anything anyone is used to seeing these days. A "trailer" with a dramatic soundtrack played through the speakers with no visual except having the actual speakers themselves highlighted by light would be a cool idea, I think.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-08-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, I don't know if I like that idea, at least if the theatre uses a curtain so that the audience never sees a naked screen. You know, that used to be the "mortal sin" of exhibition years ago when curtains were the hallmark of classy, first-run flagship theatres. Back then, a theatre that allowed patrons to walk in to see a screen with no picture on it was basically the earmark of a dregs-of-the-dregs grindhouse. Even the second-run neighborhood house that strived to emulate their first-run cousins would use curtains before and after their shows.

Today, of course, exhibition is about utility and assembly-line, characterless boxes with no personality, devoid of even a hint of any archetectural spark. Even in the newest first-run builds, curtains are missing.

But in my theatre where we do use curtains, I would be reluctant to distroy the illusion that there is nothing up there but the movie. Showing not only the naked screen, but the speakers behind it would be too much like a magician showing how his tricks were done. In one of the theatres where I work that doesn't have a curtain, we use fairly a elaborate changing light show that pulses to the preshow music to at least minimize the "nakedness" of the screen; in that theatre I couldn't do the speaker thing even if I wanted to because behind the screen is a wall and the speakers are in a room behind it and are simply placed in cutouts in the wall. There isn't much the audience would see except the grill on the front of three rectangles. They may not even understand that what they are seeing are speakers. And besides, the perferated screen is "theatre folk" knowledge....there are certain things that the general public need not know. [Smile]

Frank

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are holes in the screen [Eek!] [Confused]
Won't they let the light escape ? [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-08-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heck, instead of a trailer, just announce what kind of speakers are back there and have lights behind the screen that are switched on to highlight the speakers while the auditorium is dark.
Hey look, it doesn't look like there's much holding down those JBLs!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: