Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony 3100 VPL-FX200 projector

Author Topic: Sony 3100 VPL-FX200 projector
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 03:53 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know anything about this projector?
Imaging type, experiences in theatrical use?

I'm curious because a theater I once worked at installed one 2 years ago after a management change. It's a LARGE historic house re-seated to 1800 that went from a 40' screen & 35mm projection to a 19' screen & the Sony 3100 VPL-FX200 projector.

The new manager "explained" it in a newspaper interview saying that the new "digital" projector showed better movies than the "old projector", & that video was superior to film because "film equipment is obsolete" & "every time the film goes through the projector, it becomes more worn". The interview was part of an article about the start of their annual movie series, which they have shown the last 2 years on this projector. To one 15th of the houses for each show, according to a friend who has been a precision house counter for decades & who went to one of the shows. They used to have 700 to 1500, now 80 & less (with comps).

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-24-2003 08:47 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the guys an idiot. 19 foot screen no one is going to see anything on that one from the back row.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 11:35 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. If this is a regular commercial house, how can they operate with only the video projector? Only a small percentage of films are released in digital formats. Or is he attempting to play older films on DVD (which is probably illegal anyway.)

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 12:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a PAC which runs a summer movie series, & an occasional odd film. I don't know what the movies are delivered on, but could be DVD or even VHS. I'm assuming that they're getting non-theatrical rental rates from Swank.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-25-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a moving image sourced off NTSC video. Probably about the best you can say about it. [Roll Eyes]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-25-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Info at ProjectorCentral.com

3100 ANSI lumens
out of production
3-panel 1.8" LCD
1024x768 native 1600x1200 max
maximum throw 48.7 feet with std lens

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-25-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The VPL-FX200 is a 3100 lumen XGA projector using three 1.8" panels. It has a quad lamp module so it can run on half-light or have a ready back up.

Sony generally make a very good looking video projector in what ever category they are in. So, as 3100 lumen XGA projectors go, theirs probably looks as good or better than anyone elses. Their lenses tend to be better than most too.

What else do you want to know about it?

Steve

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 06:37 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What else do you want to know about it?
That's about it. Just curious about their desire to move from the image of 35mm 40' wide to this projector at 19' wide. It seems plain that the public explanation was BS.

For$15,999 MSRP !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: