Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anything Else Problems (Center Channel Only)

Author Topic: Anything Else Problems (Center Channel Only)
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 09:09 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Theater upgraded the sound readers last week on 19 of our 20 screens (one of them has a non-working dolby basement reader so they didn't touch it for some reason). I built up anything else and played it in SDDS, and it only played from the center channel. I switched to Stereo and it sounded exactly the same. We hookedit up to a Dolby Cat 700 and still only the center channel worked. We are going to call the company that upgraded our stuff today, but does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? All sound formats play in only the center channel, it has happened in more than one house (we moved the print to check), and I just don't know what's going on.....

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the movie is essentially mono sound that is the way woody allen does his sound. No stereo just mono. He uses the dolby noise reduction and that is it.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 09:13 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so even if the movie has SRD and SDDS, it's still only going to play through one channel?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, no change. just run another film in there and you will have all the channels but on this one only the center channel will be pressent and maybe the subs in one scene.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks!!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 09:32 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is already a thread to report performance of the new cyan dye analog track on "Anything Else":

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005290

As noted, the mix is MONO (center channel only) and subtle. The Billie Holiday recording that opens and closes the movie is intended to sound like a scratchy record.

The cyan dye analog track is printed independently of the Dolby Digital SRD and SDDS tracks, so the digital track performance should not have been affected by the conversion to cyan dye analog tracks.

Of course, if you play the cyan dye analog track, you should be using a red light reader and appropriate noise reduction (e.g. Dolby SR). Using a tungsten exciter lamp reader will result in a very low signal level and more noise.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this sutuation there is an easy way to tell if the system's OK or the print is at fault... Listen to the trailers. The trailers will play from all channels as normal. When the feature starts the sound will go to mono. If all your speakers work during the trailers but not in the feature, chances are your system is OK.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-23-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many other people panicked and thought it was related to the cyan track?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet a good amount panicked. My managers were going nuts trying to figure it out, and then they finally just forgot about it. I came here, found out, and notified them. It's funny b/c sometimes they are like, "how to you find all this stuff out?" [Smile]

We have 19/20 theater upgraded to the red LED, and I have to say that the LED is really bright. That can't be safe to look into for a while, and you kinda have to while threading....

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-24-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know...you don't have to look at the LED while threading.

Mine are set up so that they only illuminate when the motor is running. [Cool]

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always get disappointed when we show a Woody Allen film, just waiting for a customer to complain that the surrounds aren't working or that the sound is coming from the center channel only.

My reply over the radio would be, "That's correct, working perfectly"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: