Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ballantyne VIP Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ballantyne VIP Projector
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a picture of the Ballantyne VIP projector.. Could anyone please provide a good picture of this?

Thank-you!

|  IP: Logged

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can go to our website at www.ourshowtimes.com and select the Park Place Stadium Cinemas page and take the digital tour. You will find your way to the projection booth that has a Pro35 projector with a model 7 sound head on a VIP base.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, here is a new Pro-35 that just got off the assembly line. I took this picture at Strong International when Josh and I toured the plant.

-

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew:

VIP is the pedestal base. Pro-35 is the projector head. Here on the manuals page look under misc. and you'll see Ballantyne VIP.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-22-2003 11:12 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
For an answer to your question about the VIP projector and not just the projection head, see below.

I've installed well over 300 of those bases but with mostly 870 heads.

(Don't know where this pic is from...I probably stoled it from Brad's website at some point!)

-

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-23-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost looks like a Marcus house in Wisconsin I once serviced.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 12:16 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shame those projectors don't have the Rewind system on them. Ones I worked with years ago had the ability to rewind on the projector. So you didn't have to keep taking reels off and on unless you changed features of course.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great photo Phil, hopefully I'll have my parts back soon so mine can look as good as those sexy machines.

Paul, what is that warning sticker?? Is that a "DON'T TOUCH THE FRAMING KNOB!!"? [thumbsup]
or a "don't stick fingers in moving sprockets"? I can't tell...

Danny

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-23-2003 01:30 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, am wondering about that warning sticker.

How does the onboard rewind system work? Is it just a motor attached to the feed arm and maybe a guidance roller in front of the machine to keep the film from hitting the projector body? I've never seen anything like this.

Phil--what's with the wimpy lamphouses in that large(ish) booth? Does the VIP base have motor driven takeup shafts?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 02:24 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rewind was a clutch driven reel arm that had a motor on it. It had a control unit mounted on the top of the head that extended outward. THis control had a roller on it that was basically an on off failsafe type switch. Located at the base of the projector just below the soundhead was another roller that the film came up from the takeup reel to the controle roller to the payout reel. After rewinding was complete the controle roller would drop and rewind would stop,

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-23-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny and Scott: What warning sign? This one?

-

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-23-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good one paul [Big Grin]

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun fact to know and tell:

The Ballantyne drive train design is a direct knock-off of Philips/Kinoton's DP-75. Of course that was done decades ago by completely different management, but interesting from a historical perspective nonetheless.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny and Scott--it's a "stick your fingers in the sprockets or gear train while the projector is running and they'll be given the 'Big Squeeze' and you won't be able to squeeze the Charmin for awhile" label. [Big Grin] [evil]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-23-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny & Scott: That label is a warning for stupid people not to put their fingers in an operating mechanism. A sign of the times.

Scott: Since I have no clue as to where that pic is from, I would have to assume the theatre is about the size of the booth and the screen is about 5x12. [Razz]

In all the stock VIP bases I have seen, the take-ups were belt-driven from the head.

Larry: Is that a documented fact or another industry "old-wives-tale"? It seems like Kinoton has invented everything including great sex!

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: