Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horns

Author Topic: Horns
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

Why does some horns are bigger than others? [Roll Eyes]

It's just a matter of coverage or does a bigger horn can operate at lower frequencies? For example, there are two JBL horns, 2380 and 2360. 2360 is bigger than 2380 but has the same nominal coverage, 90°x40°. However the system sold with 2380 has 800Hz crossover instead of 500Hz.

Can someone light me? [Smile]

Bye!
A

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-22-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the difference between a shotgun and a pistol. While you can go hunting with a pistol, most will opt for the shotgun.

The larger the cross sectional area of the horn, the lower the frequency the horn can control. Look at the polar plots of a horn you are considering...those will let you see what the real nominal coverage is.

Generally speaking, a larger horn will out perform a smaller one of the same coverage. In the case of the 2380 versus the 2360...it isn't really a close call...the 2360 is FAR superior.

Steve

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

So it's just a matter of price? Why should I install a smaller horn instead of a bigger one?

Bye!

A

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-22-2003 08:13 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve did not say that it was just a matter of price. He never even mentioned cost.

What he said was -- the 2360 is better.

He also said that the larger horn would perform better at lower frequencies. This could probably account for your observation that the 2380 has a crossover at 800Hz instead of 500Hz.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny

He said that "Generally speaking, a larger horn will out perform a smaller one of the same coverage". What exatly means "out perform"? I thought "work better" but now I'm not sure!

So why one should install a smaller horn instead of a big one?

Bye!
A

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-24-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason I know that people install a smaller horn is to save space. If you want to install the 2360, you will need over 1-meter of depth...you would need less than half that with the smaller horn.

Steve

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 03:49 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve!

Someone told me that I can use JBL driver without the horn (for little space, a room.

How do you think is the loss of sensitivity without the horn? What advantages I have on sound quality and freq response without horn!

Bye
A

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-25-2003 06:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone that would tell you that you can use a driver without its horn is an idiot. The horn actually loads the driver. Don't do it.

Steve

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm, Thanks Steve!

Is any publication I can read to know more about this matter?

Bye
A

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: