Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » help with a fast projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: help with a fast projector
Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2003 05:20 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just recently installed a DP70 in our booth and it is running faster than it should. From my calculations is goes through a minute of film in about 55 seconds. Which is a little over 26fps. Any ideas on what can be done to fix this. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it isn't set on the 30 fps setting?

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure it is not set on 30fps, and if it was then it would be off even more.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did you know it was a minute of film? Did you count the feet of film that went through. Here is the best way to check the speed. Loop 7 and a half feet of film together. THread the film and start projector motor. Take a stop watch and as soon as you hear the splice go through start the watch. Every click shoud be 5 seconds. If you count mor than 12 clicks in a minute then it is running to fast.

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did count the length of film I put through. I put 90 feet of clear leader in between some black leader, started the motor and started a stopwatch when the clear leader hit a reference point and the stopped when the tail black leader hit the same reference point. I got 54.64 seconds, of course there is error there due to my reaction time but I would estimate that to be less than a second for sure.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-21-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally DP70s are spot-on...Sync motors, I'm pretty sure.

For dual motor machines you have a gearbelt, on single motors you have a v-belt and a transmission....make sure the transmission is securely in the 24fps postion. Also make sure you have the original motors...I've seen some without the proper GE or Master motors that could affect speed.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-21-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The belt should be checked to see if it's the right type. I've seen a non-metric automotive belt used in this application and if it's wider than the original it sits in the pulley higher and yields a higher speed.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 06:04 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a real long shot, but your motor/drive isn't set for 50 cycles is it? I think this would give a speed of 28.8 fps if fed with 60 cycles.

[ 09-22-2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Warren Smyth ]

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 11:39 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren. Tend to concur with your opinion. If the pulleys or drive are in fact set for 50 cps, then the system will run too fast on the US 60cps mains.
John Spooner. across the Tasman in South Oz.

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with this projector but I would check the belts.
I had a micro V belt riding on the side of a flange which did effect the speed. So good luck

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-22-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to agree with Sam on this one. Ya got to have the correct metric belt on the DP-70. Only other possibility is that someone took the dual projector drive pulley apart and re-assembled it with the pulleys in reverse positions.
Mark @ CLACO

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the correct size belt for it. Today I switched belts with the other DP70 that runs correctly, and it didn't make any difference. Between the two machines I don't see anything that's different between them. Same motors, same belts, and belts in the same positions.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-25-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the base of the machines behind the lower magazine are some big square capacitors make sure none of the them are disconected they govern the speed to some degree

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-25-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually if either of them is disconnected the motor simply will not run. One is the start capacitor and the other the run capacitor. I have seen these caps fail in older machines, and in machines that have been sitting idle for quite a while. I would change them out as there is a remote possibility that the run capacitor could be bad or possibly even the wrong cap all together. There were three styles of motors used on DP-70's over the years and all three used different value start and run caps. Look for the plate on your motor to see what type you have and then consult the service manual tech notes section of the DP-70 manual(actually the manual is three different sections) here on the F-T manuals page to be sure the caps are correct for your motor. If you replace them be aware that many of the "Older" caps are PCB filled. So take caution when you handle them. All new replacement caps are much smaller and non-PCB filled.

Mark @ CLACO

P.S. One other thing you can do is have a competant tech adapt a solid state drive motor system to your DP-70. This is what we will be doing on allfuture DP-70's that we sell.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-25-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of them used multiple caps for the run value and under load it will effect the speed of the motor
been there and definetly done that

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: