Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Audio analyser

Author Topic: Audio analyser
Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 06:29 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone ever use Ivie IE-33 analyser ?
what is for you the best audio analyser to use ?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-20-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have discussed this before so you might want to search for the older thread.

I personally like the Ivie IE-30 but I don't have one of my own (yet). My RTA is made by AudioControl Industrial and it's fine except I wish that the "fast" display is too fast and the "slow" display is very, very slow.

The IE-30 is smaller than my current RTA and it also has a small db display on the side whereas you have to switch to a separate display mode on the AudioControl RTA.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-22-2003 10:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have extensively used both Ivie analyzers. Beware that both tend to be somewhat fragile and sometimes temperamental. I own a PC-40...which is now considered a dinosaur in the computer world, but with occasional retightning of all the internal screws it has kept chugging along nicely. I prefer to use it for doing "A" chains as it has just the right decay time on the LCD display for making scanner adjustments. It also has a built in printer and does RT-60 calculations. I have in the past used the IE-30 quite extensively and it too was somewhat temperamental and some LED's sometimes did not work making for erronus readings and fooling you. My preference is still the THX R-2 analyzer but it has not been available for a few years now. Its actually alot more durable than any other analyzer I've owned even though there are alot of pieces to it. Its also given me BY FAR the best results when doing "B" chains. I've also used the R-2 to tune modern, large, horn loaded systems which wedre previously tuned with either the IVIE or by ear, and many felt the end results were far superior to the before sound of the horn systems. I also owned a Klark Teknik for a couple of years but it was no where near as nice as either the IVIE's or THX R-2.
Ivie's factory is not far from where I live, but since the founder sold the company off it is just barely a thread of what it once was and now specializes in automation systems.
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: