Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MPAA, you suck! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Author Topic: MPAA, you suck!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2003 05:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had enough of this recent overdone CAP code nonsense and don't know of any nice way to put it so I am just going to be blunt in the hopes someone at the MPAA with half a functioning brain cell reads this, comprehends the problem and does something about it.

Listen up guys, when regular customers complain during a movie about your friggin' overdone anti-piracy marks...KNOCK IT OFF!!! You are RUINING the moviegoing experience and KILLING our presentations! Just how big do you have to have those marks for them to be effective??? Why did the small, almost impossible to see marks work so well for so many years, yet as of 2003 that system had to be taken to such current extremes? Someone tell me why this is!

I am 100% for preventing movie piracy and have always done whatever is in my power to ensure that this does not happen, including personally confiscating tapes and cameras from people who tried to bootleg a movie in my theaters and providing tips to the studios as I get wind of them, but if the marks have to be this godamn obnoxious for the system to work, then it is time to find another system. My customers have started to complain about the random "reflections" and "splotches" in the picture it has gotten so out of hand lately.

This has got to stop. [fu] [fu] [fu] [fu] [fu]

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-18-2003 09:14 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this stuff actually CAP coding (gone astray) or is it some new system?

Either way, it has to stop!

It's time for the MPAA to use this new crap on their screener tapes. Really, little magnets inside tapes are useless for piracy prevention. Make screeners with this new huge garbage or even print the screener recipient’s name and home phone number on the image. With a little engineering you could 'easily' do this with VHS screeners, it wouldn't be that difficult.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rate that they're going, I honestly wouldn't be supprised to see a scrolling banner at the bottom or top, no wait, right though the middle of the movie asking patrons not to pirate this movie.

Of couse this wouldn't effect those that get a hold of screener tapes months ahead of the release, digitize them and post them on the 'net.

I'm too am doing all that's possible to prevent piracy, but come on guys, take a look at what's out on Kazzaa, its not someone with a camcoder sitting in the back of an auditiorium somewhere.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 09:45 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is this stuff actually CAP coding (gone astray) or is it some new system?

It is not the CAP Code Kodak developed for the MPAA in 1982. It is a different system.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-18-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all we know this could be a sinister attempt to besmirch the reputation of "celluloid" in an attempt to encourage the big switch to digital. It may have nothing to do with preventing piracy.

Do they put CAP coding on the DLP presentations?

Rather than give CAP code a bad name, we should come up with a separate name for this mutation -- I propose we start calling it "CRAP Code" until we get the real name of the process.

Just my $.02

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do they put CAP coding on the DLP presentations?

Kodak has developed invisible watermarking technology for Digital Cinema:

Kodak Watermarking for Digital Cinema

Kodak Digital Watermarking Technology

Kodak Paper About Data Embedding Technology

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-18-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More specifically, CAP code is not used on DLP presentaions. Just digital watermarking, if anything.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original CAP code Kodak developed for the MPAA is primarily used on film prints, although it could be transferred to Digital Cinema.

The new Kodak watermarking technology for Digital Cinema can carry much more information, including details like the specific projector and the date and time the unauthorized copy was made.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Underworld has those marks too. It was almost as bad as Freddy vs Jason.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even I have noticed this more lately. And there doesn't seem to be any attempt to place it unobtrusively. Sometimes it repeats many times in the same reel, but never appears in other reels. Weird, very distracting, and probably not very effective in its goal. [thumbsdown]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-18-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we all should simply refuse to accept a print with these obviously distracting and presentation-marring 'codes'(read: defects), and DEMAND a new, 'codeless' print...and keep switching prints over and over until the studios and/or labs get a friggin clue!

I agree with you Brad! This does suck! [Mad] [fu]

-Aaron

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good projectionists and caring theatres invest time & money to make sure that marks DON'T get on the films, and here we have the film companies putting distracting marks in films ON PURPOSE. Sheesh! [puke]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first noticed this very obtrusive coding on freddy Vs Jason, and I'm seeing it more and more now.

These bozos STILL believe that the source material for pirate DVD's and VHS's comes from someone with a camcorder in the back of a cinema. I can't remember the last time I saw a pirate done that way. All the pirated stuff I've seen anything of in the last few years has been of very high quality, coming I suspect form within the distributors/studios. One DVD a friend showed me had text across the top of the screen that said something like 'NOT FOR RELEASE'. Now where else other than th estudio or it's staff can that have come from? Not from J. Bloggs with his camorder in the back of a cinema, that's for sure.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the red blotches suck.

Annoyed the hell out of me on one of new Stars Wars movies (cant remember which, they were both bad) and it is really out of control on the English movie 28 Days Later (shot badly on digital cameras) but not a bad show for a Zombie film and Omega Man clone.

Seems to me they pick bright backlit scenes to do it, and also mostly towards the end of reels, as well.

It is embaressing to watch.

That said, I think they should get rid of reel change cues.

However I've never heard of a patron COMPLAIN about either of these things.

Bill.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Good to hear that Kodak is not associated with this atrocity. Its becomming exceedingly hard for projectionist to "do film right" especially when is it compromised before we even get it.

I'm REALLY suprised that the directors are allowing their films to be marred in this fasion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: