Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Blooping" cyan prints.

Author Topic: "Blooping" cyan prints.
Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any reason, when building up the new cyan prints, that I would want to "bloop" them with soemthing besides a balck magic marker? If so, what should I use?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-17-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the track that matters but the illumination. With visible red light the black marker might actually work which is not necessarily true with IR illumination. That is to say, if it renders the marked area opaque as far as you can see then it has done its job. With infrared (the bulk of what an incandescent exciter puts out) it might look black but it could very well be transparent to the IR wavelengths unless it's a special blooping ink. I'm not familiar with the IR passing characteristics of the typical felt tip marker like a Sharpie but it's instructive to realize that IR will pretty much sail right on through black movie film (magenta + cyan + yellow dye) if there is no silver present so it's possible that the same may be true of the ink. If that is true then an ordinary felt tip marker will make a lousy bloop with conventional exciters.

If you have visible red light illumination then a dense black ink ought to be a good bloop ink. Easier not harder.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 06:13 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blooping ink or India ink was often used for blooping soundtracks containing silver, as the carbon particles absorb both visible and infrared light. These inks should be just as effective on cyan dye tracks.

Dye-based markers usually absorb little infrared, and so would not effectively bloop a track played on a tungsten exciter lamp reader. But as long as they are opaque to red light, they would be effective on a cyan dye track read with a red light reader.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: