Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Training Seminar

Author Topic: Dolby Training Seminar
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-17-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an invitation letter from Dolby about a week ago for a training seminar in October 2003 in Boston, Mass. The dates are 10/20-10/23.

I don't know if this is strictly "by invitation only" or if anyone is welcome to sign up. BTW, if anyone's interested how I wound up on the invitation mailing list it is probably because I called Dolby Marketing and asked to be notified of the next training on the east coast.

Evidently space is very limited on these things and I had to RSVP right away...and pay my $550 registration fee...and then book my hotel room and air travel (all separate expenses). In all, I'd say this is going to cost about $2k.

I will certainly follow-up and share my opinion on the seminar when it's all done.

So...What do you get for $550?

Well, for starters, you get the 4-day seminar with meals provided (continental breakfast, lunch, dinner, and breaks). I'm guessing that a "break" is something like coffee, soft drinks and light snacks.

Seminar Schedule:

10/20 -- Intro, CP650 Installation Overview, CP650 Front-panel operation and alignment, CP650 setup software operation and alignment.

10/21 -- Dolby Digital A-chain alignment theory, DA20, CP500 installationi, operation and alignment, software

10/22 -- DMA-8 operation and software, digital cinema update, Analog reader alignment, B-chain theory.

10/23 -- Hands-on session (A-chain, B-chain)

Attendees have been advised to bring a Windows 95 (or later) laptop computer.

Certificates will be presented for completion of the seminar.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-17-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby seminar will be held at Boston Light and Sound. The visit to this facility + networking with other techs are a definite plus to attending. With Lonnie gone it will be interesting on how the training may differ to techs that have attended previous seminars. The cost should be well worth the effort....and don't sit on your hands regarding questions [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-17-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this doesn`t spoil everything for you - but I also got an invitation. I thought about going, but then it makes little sense since Dolby is in San Francisco. I would rather go to a seminar there sometime.
Instead, I will go to the Entertainment Equipment convention next week. Which means I will miss you in Boston, but then I will meet Gordon McL. in Buffalo...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 06:04 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael: I'm one of the presenters at the EEC Cinefest seminar in Buffalo. See you on Wednesday. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-18-2003 06:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The East Coast seminars are often conducted out of the New York office with augmentation from San Fran. There you should meet the likes of Brad (from NYC) and Ken (from San Fran)...those are my guesses. Both are excellent and quite knowledgeable.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-20-2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See you on Wednesday.
Oh, I almost forgot: what`s the weather like in NY state at this time of the year? Probably colder than CA, so what to pack?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 05:52 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a letter/registration from Dolby about this class. It's in Miami this year (only 8 hour drive from here), but I was wondering from the people who went; how was it? I wish they gave some kind of Student discount, but I think I may just work more, save up and go. Any experiences/tips are helpfull. Thanks

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend the course, for the knowledge gained in class and as Richard says, ask questions and talk to other techs and you can more than double the benefit.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-09-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the Miami letter too.

Anyone else notice the big 'oops' when they altered the document for this one?

According to the letter, the seminar runs from September to Februrary 2004.

I had no Idea time travel was involved [thumbsup]

-Aaron

Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 06:20 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they have training sessions like these in India? Also one has to undergo these courses to gain access to the dolbysecure website which posts technical data. Dunno why dolby is so secretive about technical information.. [Frown]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-10-2004 08:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most Indian technicians are invited to Dolby London to take the technical course. R & S who handles Dolby in India should be asked about this request.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be @ the Dolby Seminar Feb 22-25, can I expect to meet anyone from FT there?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: