Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Prevost P-70 ( Zeiss Favorit 70 ) restoration project. Updated. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Prevost P-70 ( Zeiss Favorit 70 ) restoration project. Updated.
Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-16-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I have posted here at Film-Tech, but I hope to hone my handling skills as well as contribute when I can.
I am glad to be associated with the members that take film presentation seriously.

I have a request in the equipment section regarding the Prevost P-70 a.k.a. the Zeiss Favorit 70 35/70mm projector and would like to hear from anyone familiar with these really great projectors.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated,such as upgrading for reverse scan,DTS or Dolby Digital.

After seeing one running 70mm in Canada, I just couldn't help myself and I just had to have one.

I now have one on the way, and could use a copy of a manual in english as I noticed that there isn't one in the manuals section.

Thanks in Advance,
Erick [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 02-27-2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Erick Akers ]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-16-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which one did you see running in canada
I don't have the manual anymore as a theatre owner scooped it
I mount the dts l bracket on the front of the penthouse and just pop the mag head out when running DTS and thread through the damper
great tracking that way
THere is no reverse scan but prevost has a dolby digital basement reader and laser optical scanner available

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-17-2003 04:53 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon,
Just the person I expected to reply [Smile]

Don't you just hate it when manuals grow legs and walk out? [Mad]

A friend by the name of James McNair, was kind enough to screen a 70mm film for me in his home.

Can't explain why, but I think I have a new favotite [thumbsup]

Anyway, I was impressed with the way that it ran.

I was told that they are built like a tank and have have the endurance of the Energizer Bunny.

Do you have any pictures to share?

Also, can you tell me what to look for in the way of wear & tear, leakage, and difficulties involved in a complete overhaul?

Don't get me wrong, a Century JJ running 70mm can be a thing of beauty, allthough I never owned one.

And like Brad, I once owned 2 DP-70's, and I have to agree with him, Totally Over Rated!!!

Sure, they are built like a tank, but it also takes the power of one to move it.

My guess is, not many Prevost projectors were sold here in the States, and that must be the reason why I didn't find much information about them here at Film-Tech.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-17-2003 02:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A friend by the name of James McNair, was kind enough to screen a 70mm film for me in his home.
And where are the pictures of this screening room?!?! [Smile]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 03:55 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a one (and 1/2) of these laying around (Favorit 70s), but do not have the stuff to convert it to 70MM, so I have never done anything with it. Do you happen to know anyone who has the 70MM gate, pull down sproket, and the other goodies to make it run 70MM, that they might want to sell?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-17-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICECO has 3 of them in pieces

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-19-2003 04:03 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daryl,
James doesn't have a digital camera just yet, but I do believe that it would make a fine addition for the pictures section here.
Unfortunately, I forgot to pack mine on my last visit, I wont do that again.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 11-21-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE:

I Just took delivery of a matched pair of Zeiss Favorit 70's.

These babies have all of the bells and wistles for 35/70mm and fully equipped with all sound readers for magnetic and optical formats.

The only thing that they are missing, is the reel arms.

The information that I have on their history is that they were only in limited use for about 4 years and in storage for 30 years.

In Short, they are about as old as I am.

They are really going to need a thurough breakdown and cleaning, and I need help from all knowledgeable Film-Tech members that know these machines well.

I am seeking manuals for both the projectors and the pedistals, and I really need the mechanical and electrical diagrams for both.

I would love to have them up and running in 3 months or less, and with your help I believe that this could happen [Big Grin]

Gordon, I could also use your help [thumbsup]

I would also like to post some pictures of my progress in the gallary.

Thanks,

Erick

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have no manuals though someone offered to make copies but they haven't arrived [Mad]

Xetron used to have adapeter plates to put reel arms on them

Where were these installed originally

Steven H. Krams
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Steven H. Krams   Email Steven H. Krams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Fellows!

I think Erik purchased these from ICECO recently. If so these machines were purchased several years ago from Robert's Films in Montreal. At the time he indicated they came from the 1967 World's Fair.

I still have several of the 35 mm machines in the warehouse. a few years ago They were purchased by Richard Fowler and then came back to us a few months ago.

In any event Richard Probably knows more about them then I do.

Good Luck!
Steven Krams
International Cinema Equipment
Miami

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 11-24-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,
Thanks for filling in the blanks on the history for me. [thumbsup]

There you have it Gordon! [Big Grin]
The pedestals are tagged as "Atlantic Film Service"

Progress is being made, and I am taking pictures along the way.

These things are kind of grungy, but they are cleaning up remarkably well.

Underneath all of the grime, is a Beautiful
Silver Crackle Paint Finish.

O.K.

Where's Richard?

Paging Mr. Fowler, Please come to the Prevost P-70 thread. [Big Grin]

As always all help is appreciated very much.

Erick.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-24-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atlantic Audio Visual was the Zeis Importer for many years and as such a fair bit of Prevost and Wassman got imported as well by them

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-24-2003 10:34 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P-70. The units I had where to satisfy the requirements for a Latin American client. I sourced some from Bob Troop, Steve Krams and others. The client then switched into another brand after his mechanic retired. One of my cinemas in the mid 1970's had P-70's and I remember creating a serviceable P-70 out of three incomplete frames ( + installing a decent electrical ground ) so I could finish a Dolby Digital installation in Argentina....for a former client of that Steve and I both
love [evil]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-25-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech, Mr. Krams! [Cool]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got two (more like one and a half) of the 70's from ICECO in Miami a couple of years ago, but they do not come with what is needed to convert them to 70MM (gate, pull down sproket, mag head, etc.), so I have never done anything with them. I would still love to find the stuff needed to convert them to 70MM. I was down in Miami for another reason, so I picked up the projectors, but did not have room for the bases. Are the bases still there Steve?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: