Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Union Projectionists (Page 1)

This topic comprises 40 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  38  39  40 

Author Topic: Union Projectionists
John Pena
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for John Pena   Email John Pena   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know anything about union projectionists? I was at a United Artist and asked a manager about it. He said they started at $27.00 per hour, and you needed to take a test in order to become one.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-16-2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad wage. That's about $56,160 per year based on STANDARD WORKING DAYS of 260 days per year.

A giga-plex might be able to handle that but a small mamma and pappa tri-plex or single screen theatre would not. Especially with the junk Hollywood is coming out with.

I know this does not really belong here, but as an edit, I just discovered that the national average housing wage for a two-bedroom apartment is $15.21 per hour. In King County of Washington State, it is $17.75 per hour. A person making minimum wage of $7.02 up here must put in 86 hours a week to afford a space that size.

Based on a 260 working day year in King County, one has to make a wage of $36,920 to afford a 2-bedroom apartment. National average would be $31,636.80 for the same.

Scary, Huh?

I hope alot of younger people who are just starting out in the job market reads this post.

[ 09-16-2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 02:50 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$27!!??? Are you sure he wasn't lying to you?

I'm union, and get nowhere near that.

Danny

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-16-2003 03:55 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each local negotiates its own rates, though there can be regional master agreements coordinated amongst several locals (like the Hollywood Basic Agreement for film/TV production locals). From what I've seen east coast wages tend to be higher than west coast. I know in Las Vegas we never had rates like that for regular theater projectionists. Special jobs like DLP, LF, dailies, premieres or double-system screenings here do get rates that are in that ballpark.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-16-2003 05:51 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Special jobs like DLP, LF, dailies, premieres or double-system screenings here do get rates that are in that ballpark.
Special jobs like DLP? You literally just walk to a console where it says PLAY and click on it. Oh yes, you also have to switch on the projector.

John Pena
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for John Pena   Email John Pena   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have more details about joing a projection union? All I was told was that you needed to take a test (which is very vague).

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 10:22 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

It all depends on which local you're looking to join. Do you already have projection experience? If so you might visit IATSE's website and find the names of the secretary and business agent of the local. Otherwise, your best bet might be to find a member of that local who is willing to offer more help than some vague information about "a test".

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of any "standard" test the IA gives to prospective members, although some locals might use them. Your best bet would be to contact the organization with Chris' link above, or try to get in contact with a union operator at your local theater. If you show a willingness to learn the craft, you may be able to convince a member to take you on as an apprentice, or they can at least point you in the right direction to getting an application. I would expect to pay a $100+ processing fee for your application, by the way. Since theater management and labor unions have had a pretty shady history, I wouldn't rely on a manager giving you any sort of good help.

As far as pay rates go, most locals handle that different ways. A *somewhat* standard way to calculate operator pay is by how many screens the operator will be responsible for during his/her shift. Usually in the ballpark of $2 per screen. So running a 4plex might get you $8 an hour while running a 14plex might make you $28. Like I said, this isn't a written in stone situation, and can vary from place to place.

Hope this helps.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-16-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael noted:
Special jobs like DLP? You literally just walk to a console where it says PLAY and click on it. Oh yes, you also have to switch on the projector.

I suppose that's true if you're only operating. By "special jobs" I meant setting up as well as operating the stuff, something that gets done a lot in the convention spaces and showrooms here in 'Vegas.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-16-2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a Studio Projectionist in NYC, I make more than that.

Those high paying union theatre projectionist jobs are harder to get. With operators that have been on the job longer. And remember that some of the theatre chains are cutting union jobs.

John Pena
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for John Pena   Email John Pena   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been working projection at a 12-plex for about 3 years now. I know all the basic threading, building up and breaking down. As far as maintance, i know the basics but not too much more.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can contact a theatre in reguards to a union job?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to a theatre you know has union operators, wonder into the booth. Bring food and / or coffee. [Smile]

Seriously.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-16-2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some out of date info on the rates Chicago's Local 110 operators were getting at Loews Cineplex theatres in the contract that ended the lockout in early 1999 and ran to Oct. 2001. This was posted to chi.general newsgroup. Original on Google Groups Here

A good number of these theatres have since closed or been sold.

THEATRE..............#.SCREENS...WAGE......NOTES

600 North Michigan......9...$23.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 10 hrs/wk
62nd & Western.........10...$25.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 10 hrs/wk
900 North Michigan Ave..2...$18.00...1.projectionist
Bel-Air.Drive.In........3...non.union
Biograph 1-3............3...non.union
Bloomingdale............6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Bricktown Square........6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Broadway Cinema.........1...non.union
Burnham Plaza.1-5.......5...$19.00...1.projectionist
Chatham 14.............14...$18.00...2.projectionists
Chicago Ridge...........6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Commons.................4...non.union
Crestwood..............18...$27.00...2.projectionists
Esquire.................6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Evergreen...............4...non.union
Fine Arts...............4...$18.00...1.projectionist
Fox valley 1-6..........6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Fox Valley 7-10.........4...non.union
Gardens.................7...$21.00...1.projectionist
Golf Glen 1-6...........6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Golf Mill 1-3...........3...non.union
Grove.Cinetna...........6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Hillside Mall...........3...non.union
Hillside Square.........6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Hyde Park.......... .4...non.union
Lawndale Cinemas.......10 ..$25.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 10 hrs/wk
Lincoln 7-9.............3...non.union
Lincoln Vi11age.1-6.....6...$20.00...1.projectionist
McClurg Court...........3...$18.00...1.projectionist
Norridge...............10 ..$25.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 10 hrs/wk
North Riverside.........6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Oakbrook 1-4............4...non.union
Oakbrook 5-7............3...non.union
Old Orchard.............4...non.union
One.Schaumburg Place....9...$23.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 10 hrs/wk
Orland 1-6..............6...$20.00...1.projectionist
Orland 7-10 ............4...non.union
Pipers Alley............4...$18.00...1.projectionist
Plaza 1-3...............3...non.union
Quarry Cinemas.........14...$18.00...2.projectionists
Rice Lake..............10 ..$25.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 10 hrs/wk
Ridge Plaza.1-8.........8...$20.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 5 hrs/wk
River Oaks 1-6.. .......6...$20.00...1.projectionist
River Oaks 7-8..........2....non.union
River Oaks 9-10 ........2...non.union
River Run...............8...$20.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 5 hrs/wk
River Tree Court........8...$20.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 5 hrs/wk
Rolling Meadows.........9...$23.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 10 hrs/wk
Stratford 1-4/5-8.......8...$20.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 5 hrs/wk
Streamwood.............14...$18.00...2.projectionists
Town.&.Country 1-6......6...$20.00...1.projectionist
WaterTower 1-4/5-7......7...$23.00...1.projectionist
Webster Place..........11...$27.50...1.projectionist + 2nd for 20 hrs/wk
Westridge Court.........8...$20.00...1.projectionist + 2nd for 5 hrs/wk
Woodfield 1-2...........2...non.union
Woodfield 5-9...........5...$19.00...1.projectionist

In addition the company paid 5% in lieu of vacation time and 17% to the union for benefits.

Remember that this is out of date, 2nd hand info. I have no idea what's happened in more recent contract(s) except that in general things haven't been looking too bright for unionized projectionists. Probably best not to count on it for a high wage future. [Frown]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-16-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the cost of living like in Chicago? I can easily see $27+/hour in the big houses and screening rooms in NYC (assuming that the operators are highly competent), but I wouldn't expect it to be common elsewhere. The small-town theatres could never afford anywhere near that, and the cost of living wouldn't justify it.

I'd be amazed if there's any regular commercial theatre (union or not) in Massachusetts that pays $20/hour or more.

As for the "test" that the original poster mentioned, perhaps it's a reference to licensing tests which are required by a few states.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of fine posts on this topic exist and can be reached by
clicking on "Search, Film Handlers' Forum, Union" and then clicking on the following thread topics:

"Questions about unions"
"Union/I.A.T.S.E. Projectionists"
"Projectionists Union Links"

While this present thread "Union Projectionists" complements those older posts with up-to-date information, the older threads contain many personal experiences that should be of interest to
newcomers.

--Gerard

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 40 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  38  39  40 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: