Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak slide projector lens compatibility

Author Topic: Kodak slide projector lens compatibility
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 02:17 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a long lens that the paper insert said would fit "Kodak Slide projectors", but its outside diameter is about 1/16" too large to fit an Ektagraphic III.

It's got the a molded rack on the side for the focus gear like an E III lens, and you'd think it would be compatible. What slide projector uses lenses with such a slightly larger OD ?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 05:49 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who made the lens?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked, & it has no name on the lens, case, or instruction sheet.

It's made in Japan, & seems like an older product - it came in a felt-lined imitation leather tube-like case. My lesson is learned, but if I could find out what slide projector uses a lens with a barrel OD slightly larger than the Ektagraphic lens, I would sell it.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William if you still a lense let me know. I have a few sizes that I dont use. Email me. Give me a day or so, to go through the closet.

Kyle

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 07:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Its rack & diameter are so similar to the Ektagraphic lens that it's very strange. The lens size needed was about 200mm/8 inch, & this one was sold as one for Ektagraphic & Kodak projectors. I'm still curious about what it fits.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 07:14 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that Kodak is soon going to discontinue its slide projector product line.

Frank

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 07:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I understand that Kodak is soon going to discontinue its slide projector product line.

Correct.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-26-2003 07:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they discontinue making slide projectors? The Ektagraphic models are quite good, and with Telex out of the slide projector business, that doesn't leave too many other options, and certainly none that have the same level of quality as the Kodak and Telex models at a reasonable price.

So, what brands of slide projectors other than Kodak and Telex are people using?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-26-2003 08:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ELMO still makes and supports slide projectors. In fact, they over slide Tele-Cines that with resolutions all of the way up to SXGA (1280 x 1024) so you can view your slides on your new fangled DLP or even transfer them to DVD.

Elmo Slide Projectors

Elmo Slide to Video converters

Steve

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the Ektagraph line is such a well designed machine (the museum has two that have been in service for 10 years and are still running strong), our solution will probably be to just buy three or four additional machines now and possibly a supply of the parts that are the most likely to wear out over time. We have a huge slide collection that are a core part of the museum's presentations so the need for slide projectors will continue well into the future. Stocking a few new machines to replace the working ones should they become unrepairable will put our ability to present these slides almost indefinately....at least much longer than I will have to worry about it. [Razz] After that they can think of HiRez scanning for projection with their spanking new Eiki "Theatre" LCD projector.

And John, I would guess that Kodak will still support the product with parts for quite a few years after the line shuts down as they did with the Eastman 25 series 16mm projectors, no?

Frank

PS -- in the same vein, Eiki plans to stop their 16mm projector line at the end of this year. Buy em up while you can.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-26-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out on depending on the various slide scanners being around...once the those manufacturers see that slides are out of favor (and they quickly are)...those machines will disappear too...I saw it happen in the Super-8 market. I would get a Slide Tele-Cine in the not too distant future too if you plan to go that route.

Steve

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 01:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak lists (listed) 2 models for the extra-bright lamp module, one for the "beige" models & one for the "black". Is there no design difference except for color?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: