Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong 2020 Turret speed

Author Topic: Strong 2020 Turret speed
Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a couple of Kiniton FP30's in our complex, with the wonderfully fast lens turrets.. problem, when we move prints from these screens to the screen with the Simple PR1060 (with 2020 Turret) we get REALLY long format change spacing requirements.

Is there any easy way to speed up the lense change on the Strong 2020 turret to something a little more realistic?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at my theater, they won't let us do format changes unless we are just doing it for fun b/c of the print moves. The time it takes is a little long, so I just put BB100 (black leader) between the two splices so that there is time for the change to occur. As for changing the speed, you'd probably have to change the motor or rewire it, I wouldn't recommend that b/c when the lenses plock in it couldn't be good for focus, going from a faster speed to lock on something that's designed to go a certain speed would be risky

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use enough opaque black leader between the different formats to allow the turret change. Even if your lenses are properly focused, always make it a point to check focus soon after each format change.

Kodak FPC Leaders:

http://www.fpchollywood.com/film-leaders-editorial-leaders.html

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some turrets that are fast and some move at a snail's pace.

I would say to make sure your motor is working right, mine usually make a screeching sound when they go bad.

Make sure the bearing are in good condition.

This is jsut a guess, but make sure that the rubber ring that the turret spins on is clean/in good shape. Seems to me that if that was oily it would take longer to turn over.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your motor clutch.

Depending on the model, there is some flavor of a clutch disk that allows the motor shaft to spin freely once the turret has reached the end of its travel. On some models, the motor runs ALL THE TIME. The torque of the motor is supposed to hold the turret against the stop(s). On other models there is a solenoid-operated pawl that latches the turret in to place. Still more vatiations are gear drive and friction drive.

If you have the full-time-running motor (which I believe is the TU-2000 series) check the clutch to see that the motor shaft isn't spinning in the bushing. Check the clutch plates themselves and see that they aren't slipping prematurely.

If you have a latching turret, be sure the latch is retracting properly and not obstructing the rotation of the turret.

If you have a friction-drive turret be sure the rubber "O-rings" that act as "tires" aren't worn out and slipping. Grease or oil on the surfaces that are supposed to supply friction can be a bitch (Same thing applies for the friction plates of the clutch.)

On all turrets, be sure that the turret/lens board itself rotates freely without binding. Sometimes people will tighten the Allen screws that support the turret bearings, thinking they are doing the right thing. Actually, they aren't supposed to be super tight. They are only supposed to be tight enough to hold the turret in place without vibration. Furthermore, they are supposed to be tightened in a "balanced" manner so that they don't apply lateral pressure which would tend to bind the turret in its bearings.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you have the turrets that swing open when changing then the motor stays on continuous. the ones that latch and change without opening do not stay on continuous. My feeling is this there should be enough black leader to cover the time it takes for the masking to reach its scope position.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Darryl Spicer: ...there should be enough black leader to cover the time it takes for the masking to reach its scope position.

Absolutely! When figuring out the amount of black leader I would time the turret to see how long it took. I rounded off to the nearest second, added 1 second then multiplied by 1.5. This would be the number of feet of black leader I used.

However, I would say this assumes that the turret is working properly and moving from "Position A" to "Position B" as fast as it is supposed to. If the turret is taking too long to "flip" something has to be done.

Just to hazard a guess, I would say that a turret which doesn't have to swing open sould take 5 seconds or less. If it does have to open, then 10 seconds would be the longest time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: