Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Unusual cue marks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Unusual cue marks
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Warrington Crossing picked up The Magdalene Sisters on its national break. The print playing in Warrington has unusual cue marks: A white "show print" cue mark on top of a black "regular print" cue mark. They appear clear as day in every reel, even at the end of R6.

Are these white-on-black cue marks on all US release prints of The Magdalene Sisters -- or is this an isolated instance?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print we had had normal black cue marks.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like some changeover operator was either nearly blind or afraid that he wouldn't be able to see the cues and added his own on top of the lab cues. I've worked with people like this before. [Mad] Curtain cues in the lower right-hand corner of the frame are sometimes added as well.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember showing, many years ago, a German film that had green square cue dots for the motor start, and triangular cues for the changeover. Have never seen this idea since.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 08:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The white circular cue inside a regular printed black cue sounds like someone used a Clint Phare marker to make the cue more obvious to overcome a visual handicap. [Roll Eyes]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 01:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big square cue dots seem to have been a phase that the British Film Institute (or a lab that it used) went through for their distribution prints and archive viewing copies in the late '80s/early '90s.

They stuck out like a sore thumb. When I went to see films with friends who wouldn't recognise a projector if it dropped on them from a great height, they would notice the cue marks and ask me 'what those big square blobs were'.

Making the over cue a different symbol from the motor cue might be a good idea, because it would prevent any possibility of a projectionist wondering if (s)he had missed the motor cue. But whatever the symbol, they need to be small, unobtrusive and brief enough to be seen if you know they're there and are looking for them, but not otherwise.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this in various rep prints, including instances of only the first and third frames of lab cue being scribed over. And then there are some who go all out and scribe six frames' worth of cues....

I seem to recall some mention of older German cues having different shapes/colors...? Doesn't seem too useful to distinguish between motor and changeover cues, though, since if you miss the motor cue (but see the changeover cue) you will only have an extra second to realize you messed up the changeover. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-10-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Making the over cue a different symbol from the motor cue might be a good idea, because it would prevent any possibility of a projectionist wondering if (s)he had missed the motor cue.
Not like it matters much. If the projectionist missed the motor cue their changeover is screwed anyway.

Personally I think we need to abandon the traditional cue marks in favor of specialized CAP coding cue marks. After all the CAP coding on some of these prints lately is far more obnoxious than changeover cue marks, so we mine as well let them do double duty, right?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...which is enough to press the 'over' button (ensuring that the douser on the incoming machine is shut) and mute the sound before the audience sees the tail section of the outgoing reel. But the real advantage would be to put the projectionist's mind at rest that no, (s)he hasn't missed the motor cue.

I would have appreciated that in the days when I didn't have much changeover experience, especially with older prints that had accumulated multiple sets of cues. However, in over 10 years showing films I only did actually miss one, which was in a very dark scene on a badly graded print of The Magnificent Ambersons. The cue was simple hole punched out of the interneg job without any border. If it had been me examining the print before the show I'd have looked at that reel on the Steenbeck and written down the line of dialogue (or other visual cue) immediately before it appeared. I think anyone would have been at risk of missing that, and wouldn't be surprised (the print was new when I showed it) if that reel later acquired some rather more obtrusive homebrew cues.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 07:06 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I inspect everything I run and if I have any doubts as to visibility I'll Clint Phare it. It's usually not necessary with normal dots printed via punching the dupe negative (solid black) unless it's a dark scene and they didn't ink the periphery of the holes sufficiently to give them white halos. But on films with those very tiny, very thin rings, unless it's clearly visible against the background, they'll need to be scribed.

One thing I do no understand in terms of reinforcing existing dots are those folks who scribe the first and last dot of the set of 4 in a single cue. This is more obtrusive not less as it will cause a rapid flash of two dots not one.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 08:12 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: Note that Charles said that every reel had scribed cues on top of the existing lab printed cues. As you note, using a Clint Phare scribe is fine if the printed cue is very difficult to see, but that should hopefully be a rare occurance. I also agree that "flashing" cues are a real distraction to the audience.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...unless it's a dark scene and they didn't ink the periphery of the holes sufficiently to give them white halos.
Which was exactly the case with this reel of Ambersons that foxed me. [evil]

BTW, what is a Clint Phare? A cue mark inscriber?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, what is a Clint Phare? A cue mark inscriber?

Yes, it is a metal jig that registers the print, with four holes positioned in the correct cue mark position to insert and rotate a special scribing tool that makes a circular mark on the film:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001403;p=1

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cue marker, British version, www.cinephoto.co.uk/misc_other_17.htm

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the source of the black stick-on cue dots that I've seen applied to some prints by an earlier projectionist ? They wouldn't seem to be office supply items; they've got an outer area of clear tape around the black dot.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: