Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ISCO lens problem

Author Topic: ISCO lens problem
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of my scope ISCO lenses looks extremely "hazy" on screen. It almost looks like the throw is off and it is ghosting all over the screen.

I tried adjusting the throw as the tip section says to do so and I have checked the shutter for warpage or damage but all is fine. I cleaned the lenses and port glasss.

The Flat image is clear.

What could be wrong?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you cleaned your lenses? Odds are it is the rear element that has is dirty from using XeKote to clean the projector with or someone smudged the lens with their hands when threading. Alternatively you could have a fogged lens due to humidity.

The focus setting once set will never, ever need to be touched again.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have cleaned the lens , front and back, the best I can with Rosco lens cleaner. How would I know if it was humidity? Would it be fogged up like a windshield?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've seen lenses literally look like a "fogged windshield" from humidity issues. Can you tell which surface is fogged?

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 08:21 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming it's in a turret and you can't (or aren't supposed to) remove it to have a look right through it? If it's fogged by humidity that would be one sure way to tell.

Ron Yost

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll check if it is fogged up. It is in a turret, I dont see why people make such a fuss about taking the scope lens out. I've done it several times to replace the pins and I've never had a problem aligning it when I put it back in.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-08-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris I noticed most of your posts start with "I don't get it" or something similar
When people offer advice when asked then maybe one should think it comes from experience and comments like I don't get it are or why so tend to make one hesitate offering advice

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize I was being so negative; that certainly is not my intention. I'm appreciative of any advice that anyone offers me and I try to help out anyone that I can. Sometimes I don't understand something or I would like something explained in more detail.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-09-2003 01:25 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I have seen a couple of old B&L and some Sankor anamorphics that had a problem like you described. The lens looked fine....the elements were not dirty as I peered at them.

How old is the lens, and did you try it in another projector?

The problem corrected themselves when I threw the lens away and replaced them with better junk. [Wink]

I suspect the coating may have deteriorated in such a manner as it would render such a crappy picture.

Hmmm....my 4,000th post.... [beer]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may have gotten moisture or oil INTO the lens. Here's a Schneider "white paper" about proper lens cleaning procedures:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/white_papers/lens_cleaning.pdf

Here is Isco's site:

http://www.iscooptic.de/english/indexeng.php

If you have internal contamination or damage, you will need to have the lens professionally disassembled and cleaned.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the front and back elements are not loose
I had two lenses that couldn't get focused, they were clean .Turned out that the ring that keeps the elements in it's place loosened up and the element moved while being cleaned or due to vibration, only a very small move is enough to cause problems with anamorphics.Why it did happen.. I have no idea.both lenses can be considered old by now.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one new 20plex where I was employed, several Schenider lenses all wnt bad at once and really produced a headache (in terms of both trying to get films on screens, as well as patrons who got headaches from a badly focused picture). Anyhow, for some reason on this new batch of Schneiders, the elements were all loosening up making it imposible to focus, or maintain focus. But Schneider did correct the problem.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I checked it out today. I cannot see any moisture inside the lens, in fact it looks prefectly normal. I switched it out with another projector and the problem stayed with the lens.

I'm thinking that maybe someone got some lens cleaner or maybe sprayed windex on the lens and it got on the inside.

I guess I'll have to send it back for repair.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: