Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Couple of questions about Intermittents and Platters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Couple of questions about Intermittents and Platters
Shayne Martin
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Shayne Martin   Email Shayne Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a new member to the upstairs world and since my arrival I've come across a few questions that I'd like answered. 1) I understand that the way the intermittent works is that the shutter spins in time well my question is, why does it flash twice before the intermittent spins once. 2)What causes the brain and platters to become... get to the point where they need calibration. We leave them on all the time so I don't understand what might cause some to go quicker than others or at all for that matter. I had a third but when I remember it then I'll write back later. Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good question. I don't know.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-08-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1: if the shutter only blocked the light beam once for each pulldown, the flicker at 24fps would be horribly annoying, therefore the flicker rate is 48 times per second (projecting each frame twice), greatly reducing the visibility of the moving shutter blade.

#2: It depends on the platters used. Some use mechanical switches and save for the switch or motors outright failing, they really don't 'go out of calibration'. In 'electronically controlled' platters like Christie, later Strongs, SPECO, etc., all electronics do drift with age and environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, etc) and as such the setting may drift away from the optimum. Also with many platters (Christie and SPECO come immediately to mind), the rubber drive wheels that move the platters wear with time and the speed that the platter moves does decrease proportionally.

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a while, back when I was stupid, I thought that only every other frame was projected because of the shutter.

What type of equipment are you using?

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 09-08-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, all 24fps theatrical equipment basically uses the same system, even with variations on the theme like barrel shutters as on Motiographs and some Tokiwas, and single-blade shutters that rotate at twice the speed as on the Norelco AAII.

-Aaron

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-08-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shayne, you better make that thread title more specific before you get yer ass moderated! [Smile]

Welcome to the forum.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Mike, I moderated his ass (changed the topic title). [Smile]

Don't forget about 3 bladed shutters, Aaron! Also, as far as platters are concerned, they are mechanical and will not keep exact settings as parts wear over extended periods of time. They need to be tweaked occasionally. But Aaron really answered the question best.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2003 06:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Shayne, when asking questions please be very specific as to the equipment you have in your booth. Few questions are so general that you can get a truly accurate answer without us knowing the brand and model of your equipment.

Torsten Jasper
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Torsten Jasper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joe wrote:
Don't forget about 3 bladed shutters, Aaron!

Yeah, donīt forget about 18 fps for soundless films. [Smile]
Greetings
T. J.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 09-08-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't forget about 3 bladed shutters, Aaron!
How many 'standard multiplex' booths run machines with 3-blade shutters? I would say very few. [Smile]

quote:
Yeah, donīt forget about 18 fps for soundless films.
Once again, how many multis run silents anymore? [Smile]

What about 30fps Todd-AO? 60fps Showscan? [Smile]

c'mon guys... lighten up [beer]

-Aaron

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 11:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of difference does a 3-blade shutter make? Reduced flicker?

=TMP=

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, reduced flicker, but at a price of some loss of light. A three-bladed shutter would be just the ticket for an overlamped very-short-throw home system like some of us have, if you could only find one easily... [Frown]

(More lamp power than is necessary for a given screen size can cause flicker.)

I think some commercial screening rooms use projectors equipped with three-bladed shutters to get a smoother image at a very short throw.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-09-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while, but IIRC this is due to something known as Critical Flicker Fusion or CFF.

There was a study that demonstrated that 50 flashes per minute is generally perceived by people as steady illumination. The test subjects could not detect any flickering.

Mainstream cinemas play films at a speed of 24 frames per second, so if we doubled the flicker rate by using a two blade shutter then we would be approach the CFF.

A three blade shutter raises the flicker rate to 72 per second which is considerably higher than the nominal CFF for humans. As mentioned, the trade-off is reduced light output.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CFF:

http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/dept/RESFELO/ResDay2000/puwat/sld012.htm

http://www.therubins.com/alzheim/alztest13.htm

http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~pch/abstracts/arvo1998.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/cgi/mesh/2002/MB_cgi?term=Flicker+Fusion&field=entry

For most people, a film projected at 24fps with a two-blade shutter has acceptable shutter flicker at light levels below about 25 footlamberts. That is why standard SMPTE 196M sets an upper limit of 22 footlamberts for theatres. At higher framer rates, or by using a three-blade shutter, much higher levels of screen luminance can be used without significant flicker perception.

I've projected 35mm prints at 80 footlamberts with a three blade shutter (72 interruptions per second), and the images are nearly flicker-free and stunningly realistic. But prints timed for the SMPTE standard 16 footlamberts may sometimes show too much detail in the shadow areas at this very high level of brightness.

Assuming a 90-degree shutter blade, a two blade shutter is 50% efficient, and a three-blade shutter is only 25% efficient in transmitting light. So you typically need twice the lamp power if you move from a two blade shutter to a three blade shutter. One way to overcome this is to use a 5:1 "drive in" intermittent, or adopt the new Kodak "Quickermittent", that allow a more efficient wider shutter opening without travel ghost.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, are the Kodak Quickermittents available as practical replacements for the more common 35mm projectors or is it just a design concept? I once tried to put in a drive-in intermittent in a Simplex XL. It sounded like a 120v coffee grider plugged into a 240v outlet. It was scary. Plus the picture had more jitter than a the normal intermittent. And, it wasn't a simple exchange of one for the other -- drive shaft gears had to be changed too. I gave up. Sure would be nice if the Quickermittents were just swappable with standards.

I assume that with a Drive-in or Quikermittent, you then can cut back the shutter blades? I would imagine that in situations with large screens where they need more light (hence the desire for a quicker pulldown), they would already be pushing lots of light -- wouldn't the longer rest period bring the film closer to the threshold of heat damage due to the longer time light is passing through each frame?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: