Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smelly Xenon + Failure

Author Topic: Smelly Xenon + Failure
Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, well i'm still new to this xenon thing, only having used them for 3 odd years, but recently i have had an Osram XBO2000W smelling like fish. We were running on about 70A with a good light, then today after 810 hours it didn't want to light. A replacement has been put in and no smell! any ideas why we only got 800hrs and what the smell was. We have an Irem N3 power supply and a peerless magnarc conversion. Ta!

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Fish? Could be that a seal has failed and you're smelling the Xenon gas. The only smell usually associated with xenon lamps is the smell of hot metal from the lamphouse, maybe hot dust if the equipment isn't kept clean or hasn't been used in a while, and the slight puff of ozone as the lamp strikes, ozone smells like photocopiers/laser printers. Not fishy.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-06-2003 10:55 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since the lamp is sealed, you wouldn't be able to smell anything inside it, so the most likely cause of a smell would be some form of surface contaminition of the quartz envelope of the lamp, e.g. by grease from fingers, or dust, but I wouldn't expect these to cause the lamp to fail to strike, unless they led to an explosion, nor to smell like fish, unless you were cooking some fish for your dinner inside the lamphouse!

My best guess would be that some form of contamination, local overheating, or manufacturing fault caused failure of one of the seals, and the lamp lost pressure. What did the lamp, envelope and electrodes, look like when removed? Was there any discolouration, blackening, cloudiness etc?

I don't like xenons, they have improved vastly since the days of the old BTH three electrode things, but they still make me very nervous, I'm much happier working with carbons.

You haven't still got any left over carbons you want to sell, have you?

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 11:04 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamp looked brand new when it was removed. [Smile]

No carbons at present, but i may find some, you never know [Roll Eyes]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-06-2003 11:56 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xenon is an inert, ODORLESS gas. Contamination on the lamp could cause an odor as it gets hot.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smells like fish...it's tempting but I won't say it.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time my booth smelled like fish...

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me either. [Big Grin]

Ron Yost

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 07:47 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to find out if that's the sole lamphouse that stinks, just for the halibut.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sumpings FISHY about this thread [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-07-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the seal blew while the lamp was not running. Had that happen once, the bulb was cooling down after a run and I heard something like a windy fart without any vibrations. I tried lighting the lamp, no go. The bulb looked perfect. Replaced and aligned the bulb and started the next show.

As far as the fishy smell is concerned, maybe it was some wiring fried (although I don't know of too much wiring that smells like fish)

or someone was pulling a prank on you. [Big Grin]

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone posted that they or someone they knew had left an unopened can of beans is a lamphouse to warm it up and it had exploded. Perhaps someone left a fish in the lamphouse? [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-07-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, with some of today's operators in the booth, anything is possible. [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, well thanks lads, the problem has been found, mainly becuase our new lamp decided that it didn't want to light anymore. The Irem Strike unit in the back of the lamphouse decided to fail on us [Frown] Problem solved i guess.....

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-18-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it still common practice for projectionists to warm their dinner in the lamphouse?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: