Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FilmGuard: how to clean two prints with one Kelmar Cleaner? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FilmGuard: how to clean two prints with one Kelmar Cleaner?
Henning Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for Henning Anderson   Email Henning Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got one Kelmar Cleaner and a bottle of FilmGuard in our 7-screener.
I have succesfully cleaned one print, but next week that film will share the screen with another film.
Is there any way to clean the other film on the same media pads (from Film-Tech)?
I just started cleaning the first film monday on freshly soaked media pads.
Should I resoak the pads tonight and run the new film through it and then run the already cleaned film through the same pads?

kind regards
henning

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can,try threading both prints at the same time through the cleaner if you have interlock rollers-i.e. from the platter of one screen through the cleaner on the other & directly back to the other screen.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That WILL NOT work. Please do not even attempt that idea. Simply just cycle one show on one print then the next on the other. But PLEASE do not try too run two prints through the cleaner at once. That is insane.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-04-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the prints are sharing a screen, what I usually do is soak the pads for the first film and let it run as normal until it is time to thread up the next film (the order in which the films play is unimportant). Before the first showing of the second film, I will lightly resoak the pads. Don't overdo it! Then run the second film through. Now just treat the cleaner and the prints as normal, threading it through the media cleaner and rewinding the pads each show. No need to resoak the pads again until the week is done.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe may be saying this already...

At our drive-in, we put the whole night on one platter... 2 features, trailers... the whole enchilada.

So far, one set of media rolls will do the whole pack... so doing two features on one set of CLEAN media rolls shouldn't be such a big problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe wrote the recommended solution if you have the prints split on separate platter decks.

Jack has the best solution if you have the prints physically spliced together on the same deck.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 03:10 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont see how running the two prints seperately or splicing them together would matter as far as the media pads are concerned.
You're running the exact same amount of film through the cleaner, so how does threading them apart make a difference?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you splice them back to back, the second feature will use a substantial amount more media than the first feature. Remember, the takeup shaft turns at a constant speed. It does not slow down over the course of a movie like a takeup reel or platter would.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't get it, but I'll take your word for it.

Henning Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Henning Anderson   Email Henning Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your quick replies. I'll go with Joe's suggestion and resoak the pads lightly. I cut the pads in two halves to save the precious drops of Film-Guard, so I can't splice the two films together. That would be easier but i'll just have to show my colleagues how to rewind [Smile]

Thank you again for your help

henning

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I don't get it either. I don't see how it would make any difference which method you use in either situation. The only thing I can think of is that if the two prints are spliced togther and taken up on the same deck then they are essentialy treated like one long print, so the pads would not be changed. But I don't understand why more or less media would be used in either situation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a test for you. Take a strip of junk film and wrap it around a platter center ring. Now count how many frames there are in one revolution.

Now take a strip of junk film and wrap it around the edge of a feature sitting on a platter and count how many frames there are in one revolution.

The takeup platter deck is constantly in a "slowing down" state as a movie runs so that the film is ran through the projector at a constant speed.

Since the takeup shafts on the film cleaner spin at the same speed throughout the movie, as more media accumulates on the takeup shafts, each rotation will pull more media across the idler rollers such that the media spins faster. If you have a 2 hour movie, the pads will be spinning at X amount of speed. If you have a 4 hour movie (like splicing them both together on one platter deck), then you have something more along the lines of 3 or 4 times X speed toward the end.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 02:56 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, now I'm really confused and it's starting to bug me. I don't understand how the speed of the platter has anything to do with the cleaner.

I do understand how when there is more media on the take up shaft it will pull the media across faster.

Isn't the film always being pulled by the projector at a constant speed? Isn't that why the platter slows down?

I dont mean to sound stupid, but I really don't get this.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-07-2003 03:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do understand how when there is more media on the take up shaft it will pull the media across faster.
That's the point. The platter was just an example.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: