Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is a pseudo-version print?

Author Topic: What is a pseudo-version print?
Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've seen DOM (domestic) and INT (international)
prints, and this makes perfect sense. I've handled "Die Another Day" twice since its opening. The first time I didn't notice the tail markings. Three weeks ago, I ran upon this tail which gave me a total confusion:

-

Any Idea what a Pseudo-version might be? From the following word "textless" I only assume that its a print with no english subtitles printed so they don't interfere with the burned in foreign subtitles. Hence the name pseudo-version?

Christos.

|  IP: Logged

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 09:03 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess nobody has encountered this kind of print. [Frown]

C.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a print of Hooper, that had on the leaders, "Sweetened Version" on it. No clue what that meant.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pperhaps it's intended for the Japanese market....oh, no...wait, that's a SUMO print. [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Heenan wrote:

quote:
I've had a print of Hooper, that had on the leaders, "Sweetened Version" on it. No clue what that meant.

"Sweetening" usually refers to techniques used to modify or improve an audio recording, such as removing noise from a location recording:

http://www.postproducer.com/Soundtrack/default.htm

http://www.filmandtapeworks.com/audio.html

http://www.cprgonline.com/4050.html

http://www.lucidsound.com/lucid/filmservices.cfm

FWIW, I did find the term "Pseudo Version" related to Bond movies on some websites:

http://www.geocities.com/teamfx2000/clg/clgmegamix8.html

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you John for the reply. The link you're refering is a collection on tape of various opening and closing logos of film production and distribution companies. As far as I can understand they name as "pseudo" or "pseudo-variant" any logo that differs - fron the standard company logo (I suppose FOX's logo on "Minority Report" or Warners' logo on "Harry Potter").
Now as for a whole print...if the overseas version is supposed to be longer or shorter than the Domestic American, what is the difference between the terms "Pseudo" and "International".

Christos

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overdubbing? Subtitles?

Just to spitball...

I imagine that an "International" print may be dubbed, titled or otherwise altered for the consumption of the audience(s) of the destination country whereas a "Pseudo" print may have had SOME alterations but not dubbed or titled.

Let's imagine an American movie sent to the U.K. or Australia. It may need to be edited to suit the sensibilities of these countries but it's not SO chopped up that somebody back in the U.S.A. couldn't watch it as well.

Sort of like the way Harry Potter and the Sourcerer's Stone was changed to ...Philosopher's Stone for consumption in the U.K. (Or... was that the other way around? [Wink] )

It's a big guess but it sounds plausible to me.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-12-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's imagine an American movie sent to the U.K. or Australia. It may need to be edited to suit the sensibilities of these countries but it's not SO chopped up that somebody back in the U.S.A. couldn't watch it as well.

You would be amazed how much you can show in some other parts of the world that you can`t show here (in the US), so that theory would not make sense unless the other way around.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

yes, overdubbing, subtitles, etc. is my initial guess. However the above print of "Die Another Day" certainly was not overdubbed and as far as I can remember it had the English subtitles noting: "after xxx months" or "Cuba" etc. which brings into game the word "textless" (see above)and it's meaning.

Michael,

I am sure you are very well aware, as the other "International" film-techers, that an NC-17 (mostly for erotic scenes) movie is perfectly playable (at least in Europe)while in US in order to get an R rating some scenes have to be trimmed (see afterwards "Rated" and "Expanded - Non Rated" versions of the same movie on DVD). Remember also the controversy over "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" which was trimmed for excessive violence for the European distribution, especially the Temple of Doom scene (but when broadcasted everything was in place).
And I suppose that was a Pseudo-Temple of Doom scene [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Christos.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: