Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Australian State Government values Projectionists...

Author Topic: Australian State Government values Projectionists...
Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 07:28 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

Following is an article from the Sun-Herald Newspaper here in NSW Australia on the 31/8/03.....
---------------------------------------------------------------
PROJECT TO SAVE MOVIES

A Shortage of trained projectionists in country NSW is being described as 'critical' by the State Government.

To address the problem, an accredited training course is being held in Gunnedah from October 27 to November 7.

"A survey conducted by the NSW government in 1996 found half of the states regional towns did not have a cinema, even though going to the movies was Australias most popular activity", Regional Development and Small Business Minister David Campbell said.

"We set in place a terrific program and now 65 per cent of towns have an operational cinema, while another 16 per cent are within 40 kilometres of one."

"A big problem we uncovered, however, was a lack of suitably trained projectionists."

All participants in the course will receive a Certificate in Entertainment.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Have any of the Aussie guys in here heard of this course?

Just thought I'd note this down here to let you guys know that some countries do value projection.....(don't worry I moan about the popcorn poppers threading up as well)...

Regards
Steve Brown

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 07:30 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But who wants to go to Gunnedah? I dont even know where the hell that is in NSW!

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that is good to hear! The company I work for put an add in the paper for a projectionist that said must be trained and we got all aplications of people who had never worked in a cinema, the ones I interviewed were suprised that a cinema uses film! [Eek!]

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 05:56 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this course is the same as the one's they used to have in Projection Technology. Here in Melbourne the last of those on offer was at least a decade ago. Thankfully I've come across some of the old study material. Very useful stuff!

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 06:51 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Train someone for two weeks and then send them in with a CERTIFICATE IN ENTERTAINMENT? i hope that these people will be supervised?
Are there any real training courses for projectionists happening in Australia? there isn't any in Perth, thats for sure!

it's good to see an aussie thread! [Smile]

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 08:10 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad! Have not seen you on film-tech for ages!

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 10:29 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
becoming chief and preparing for our renovations (from two, to four screens) has taken up more time than expected.
i still enjoy popping by film-tech for some enlightenment when possible.

i think i might be posting here a bit more often with a whole heap of questions regarding our renovations and all the problems that i'm sure we'll have once they are finished [uhoh]

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 07:55 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be fun getting to build those other screens and spend someone else money!

Well we got a memo today, there are no more Projectionist at the cinema chain I work for, we are now Cinema Worker level 2s and are required to wear a tie and to thread up and report to the manager after the show is running for cinema worker duties! [Mad]

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for training "YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT U CANT MAKE HIM DRINK"

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 07:01 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Wearing a tie near a Projector with all those moving parts...Geeeee.....You could get work place safety inspectors in and they'd shut the place down in a blink of an eye......

Regards
Steve Brown

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a tie is a death trap. This company does not allow for things like that, if you were to say anything to anyone they would fire you in a second!

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 06:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

If they fire you then you've got a great chance to really stick it to them. To fire someone because they raise a safety issue is a really poor bit of management and they deserve to feel the wrath of the Workplace Health and safety people.

Steve Brown

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: