Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Automation Lens Change (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Automation Lens Change
Jeff Klump
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Jeff Klump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre we have Component Engineering TA-10 automations which allow for lens changes. Up to this point (5 1/2 years) our theatre has never used the lens cue in a public showing. I was happy to be the first person to implement it. Although it wasn't for a loving cause. I had to cue the change because we were out of scope advertisements. What is the theatre world coming to when we have to incorporate lens changes just to accommodate ads?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-31-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In today's times of supergenuis top masking auditorium designs, switching from flat to scope is one heck of a disappointment. I would flat out refuse to show the ads in a common width setup if they couldn't provide me with scope copies.

I was always a fan of side masking auditoriums, running trailers in flat then switching to scope for the feature. Very classy. Ashamed hardly anyone builds like that anymore.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-31-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Klump, you would be surprised to know how much lens changing is going on in some parts of the rest of the world. For instance, in Germany we usually have 20-40 minutes of rolling commercials before the feature. These and most of the trailers are in flat. It would be very impractical and also too cost-prohibitive to have them in scope as well. Often, the company logo and some trailers are shown right before the feature, so we do lens changes often in full flight.
Fortunately, most of the theatres have side masking, so the screen opens for the scope feature which in itself is a nice effect.

Jeff Klump
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Jeff Klump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was unaware of all the lens changes out there. I guess I am thankful to working on a turret system. Doing them manually like I used to on some old Century Simplex's would be painstaking. I will agree that is it neat to watch when the side masking opens up automatically. I went into one showing to here the audience reaction and I heard some one say, "OOOOO, widescreen".

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not go through the trouble for the ads. However, I have on a few occasions run out of company institutional trailers and had to make a lens change for it.

I just built up a flat trailer pack and then before the movie I add about 10 feet of black leader, so the lens and masking change is not as noticable, and then the movie runs in scope.

As far as the dumb preshow ads, I like running out of those so that I wont have to put them on.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-31-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite often we don't have all the trailers we need in the proper format, so I'll do a lens change on the fly if necessary, using the same "black leader" trick mentioned above. We have stage lights, so I fade those back up for the duration of the lens change.

A turret is forever on my "wish list" but I just can't justify the horrendous cost for such a simple device. Why are they so expensive, anyway??

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-31-2003 09:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is a lot of presision machining involved plus some major mods to the projector

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
changing lenses on the fly would be a neat trick but there's no way we could do it, especially in the main house. no turret, side and top masking without stops (has to be set with light running through projector and some trial and error), lens must be recentered side to side and projector tilt adjusted, and framing must be adjusted due to uncoordinated aperture plates. there's also a large focus shift which would i suppose be pretty easy to correct, but i have rough marks on the focus knob that work pretty well. it would be interesting to try it after hours and see just how time-consuming/ugly it is.

carl

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-01-2003 08:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a couple of platter houses that can do automated lens/masking changes, although I doubt that the functionality has been used more than a couple of times. In platter houses, I think I've only seen it done once, anywhere, as a customer. Personally, I've only done it in changeover houses.

Agreed with Brad's comments that switching from flat to scope at the start of the feature looks impressive with side masking and lame with top masking. The one exception would be at the Avon, where we use top masking for scope, but show flat trailers using the 1.33 lenses (which are longer than the 1.85 lenses) and a special plate. This results in a very small 1.85 image (same height as the scope image), which then becomes wider after the changeover to scope. It's pretty clever, actually, and looks fine.

Personally, I would never go to this amount of trouble for ads. If the advertising company can't be bothered to send the correct number in the correct format, then I see no reason why an exhibitor should go to any amount of extra effort to show the ads. Any excuse to not show ads is fine by me! [Smile]

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 08:20 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Australia lens changes are the most comon thing there is! Ever cinema runs lens changes for the trailers, I can't remeber seeing a movie that did not have a lens change! In most multiplexs in Australias its automated. I also do the lens change on the fly trick.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which direction does your turrets rotate in Australia? [Wink]

Steve

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-01-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started in this business, lens changes were a fact of life. I can remember starting the show with a 45-second reel of a merchant ad and a kiddie show announcement trailer, changing over to the scope feature. Granted, these were the days of "continuous picture service" (i.e., two projectors), but I would think with automatic lens turrets it wouldn't even be a concern.

Now, as a part-time trailer producer, I get the occasional request for scope trailers because the operator is either too lazy to cue a lens change, the theatre doesn't employ enough operators to properly cover the number of screens, or the theatre doesn't employ an operator at all. The point Brad made about the theatres being improperly designed as an excuse for never changing lenses, is a new one.

That's all well and good, but speaking from the standpoint of a producer in a specialty trailer environment, making a scope version involves shooting another negative and keeping a double-inventory. Guess at whose expense?

This is what I'm driving at: the circuits have eliminated the craft of projection. They refuse to pay what the job's worth, understaff their booths, and cut corners on design; and they expect someone else to pay for it!

I think the following speaks volumes about the current state of the business, and society. I have seen our flat trailers run in scope... ON TWO PROJECTOR SETUPS! That's just plain laziness.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-01-2003 12:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand that common-width happened out of pure necessity in conversions -- those single screens years ago that were tortured into multiplexes and needed to have common width setups because there was just no other way to physically do it, other than tearing down the theatre (now THERE'S a thought). But do you mean to tell me that today there are NEW builds that actually design auditoria with common-width setups ON PURPOSE? It's absurd and the architect should be banned from ever designing a theatre again. Are there really such abortions out there in any number?

At a time when it has become so glaringly apparant that exhibition is in direct competition with home theatre and needs to be bigger and BETTER, doing common-width is like a square TV screen doing letterbox for scope! HELLO....the hot thing now in home theatre is WIDE display screens. Even non-techies know what 16:9 is where it's at. Does the exhibitor think the patron who's got a 16:9 won't realize that this theatre where he's paid $10 can't even do wide screen, but is doing letterbox scope? Even in his home theatre, the flat picture is square and the scope picture is WIDER.

And yes, change-over houses do have that advantage -- we can easily do format changes. But automation can do it too -- it's jsut a matter of making it a priority. Our cartoon/attraction reel is ALWAYS 1.37, so that even if our flat feature is only 1.66, the mask and curtains STILL open wider than the trailers and of course the width change from 1.37 to scope is, well, it's practically orgasmic, and it's why scope was invented, damn it. To not comprehend how letterboxing it castrates the scope presentation....well, it's just one of the many major things that's wrong with exhibition. Certain things shouldn't be compromised no matter what the reason. Castrated Scope is one of them. If an exhibitor is doing that, then he should just get out of the business altogether and run a hot dog stand or something, although all bets are on that he will run that half-ass as well.

Frank

PS -- Steve, above the equator, turrets turn clockwise....below the equator they turn counterclock wise. [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-01-2003 12:37 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
exhibition is in direct competition with home theatre and needs to be bigger and BETTER, doing common-width is like a square TV screen doing letterbox for scope!
You can't very well advertsise WALL TO WALL screens if you've got side masking. Customers are idiots and they'll call you on it.

I guess the upside is that if you've got a proper amount of light for the top masked flat picture, you'll have one nice bright scope image.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-01-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, owners want as many screens in a complex as can fit. This results narrow auditoriums, which means common width screens. Common width is not the worse thing in the world, if done correctly. Getting lenses in turrets to work right is one several problems.

We are doing a 10-plex in Chicago, with common width, but I have adjustable top/bottom masking to keep the screen center the same. The problem here though is, people sitting in the front rows will have to look up more for scope.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: