Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with Strong HiLight II console problem

Author Topic: Help with Strong HiLight II console problem
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-30-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was called to look at a HiLight II console. The problem is no DC voltage. It's got one of those removable suitcase power supplies (which tests OK, when I put in another console.)

When I turn it on manually, there is no traditional "click" of the relay in the suitcase PS, but the LCD display reads 0 volts or amps ... and "Check PWR Supply." When I shut off the manual switch, the display goes back normal.

So, the suitcase PS, all door and sail switches are OK. The manual switch works, because the display changes when turned on. I checked voltages the 3-phase plug - all voltages are present.

The manual does not show exactly how the suitcase PS conects to the rest of the console. I wish I had a schematic of that round MIL-spec connector for DC and control wires.... Thanks for any help...

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M.S. Connector Pin assignments:
A and B - D.C.
C-Brown-2
D-Pink-3 (may not be present)
E-Orange-4
F-Blue-5
G-Yellow-6

Basically the same as other Strong units. Wires 2(brown) and 4(Orange) send 110V out and when all switches are closed, it returnes to 5(blue) and 6(yellow)to feed the contactor.
Check those stupid "insulation displacement" connectors on the back of the display board. Many a bad connection found there.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-31-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Rick: The insulation displacement connector behind the LCD panel was indeed the problem... it would have taken me hours to figure it out by myself ... thanks!

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to help. That is, unless you get PAID by the hour. [thumbsup]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this would be a good place to post this question:

What is Insulation displacement?

Also, I have a lamphouse that doesnt seem to be sending power to the display card. There is continuity in the wire for the 12Vac connector, but none of the cards that I put in come on.

The original problem was that the quick disconnect wiring harness fused together and shorted out the PCB voltage board and that in turn fried the original display card.

Any ideas?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insulation displacement connectors are those where you don't have to strip the wire first. The connector bites through the insulation. Examples include: Modular connectors, ribbon cable connectors and AMP MTA style connectors.

Generally, if the connector is attached by simultaneously crimping several wires at once...it is probably an insulation displacement connector.

Steve

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, can you provide more info? Is it a highlight 2? with digital display or the one with the 4 green lights? Does the lamp work at all?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a highlight II with the digital display card. The lamp works because we took the dispaly card off the circuit, so whenever the switching power supply is on, the bulb is on. The display card itself doesnt seem to be getting any power to it though.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't personally seen the digital type. But are you sure you're actually getting 12 volts on connector J-5. If not, the diagran show a transformer labeled X-1 that feeds the 12 volts to the display board. It looks as though it is fed its 120Vac from the rectifier? If you are referring to the M.S. connector on the rectifier that burned up, maybe the transformer isn't getting voltage.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is Insulation displacement?

Probably the most familiar insulation displacement termination is a telephone punchblock.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: