Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » It's a theater ! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It's a theater !
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today my company opened his new multiplex in Lausanne, Switzerland.
We proud of it, for his design and the technical equipement.
This saturday august 30, four days before the official opening, we showed reprise movies like: Apocalypse now (redux) / E.T. (20th anniversary issue) / Titanic / Casablanca / Jackie Brown / Grease / Life is Beautiful / The full Monthy, and other succes movies.
This week-end all the tickets wil be sold at $ 2.50 for a charrity foundation who help childern in hospitals.
I hope in a close future, submitting pics on the picture warehouse, and detailled explainations.
Here is a pic of the building:
 -
This multiplex feature 7 auditoriums, 1958 seats, running Cinemeccanica V5 projectors, Dolby EX on all auditoriums, QSC amps, and JBL speakers.

Bye, and stay tuned for more pics !

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we showed reprise movies like: Apocalypse now (redux)
Do you happen to know if that was one of the new Dye Transfer prints?

Danny

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-30-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That picture looks seriously photoshopped to me. Somehow the relationship between the green cube and the older building seems strange. Are you sure they actually built the theatre?
If so, did you install CP650s with EX option? Do you have the QSC digital monitor/crossovers?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah the photo looks fake. Where the Europlex and the sky meet, it looks really rough.

and no 70MM screens?!?!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-30-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at the picture and thought the same thing too -- Photoshop -- but then I paused and thought back on all the photos I've seen of European vacations and realized that Europe just naturally looks Photoshopped.

By the way...we're getting ready to retire our first multiplex early next year and I've been toying with the idea of booking some of those fabulous older movies for the final week. I hadn't thought about the charity part though...I may steal that idea.

Great looking building...even if it is a phoney.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so we've established that this new theater doesn't exist, and neither does europe. i'm going there in a few days and will give an update on its existence.

carl

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing looks unnatural on this picture. The fact that a building like this multiplex was erected next to a house like that one is purely arguable on an aesthetic point of view.

The only fake element is Jean-Michel. He's a CGI. Next week they'll replace him by Simone. [Big Grin]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You all are looking at the picture wrong. The Europlex is not flush with that swirly-painted building as it may appear. If you look by the entrance, the theater and the painted building are across the street from each other. The picture was taken from the fourth corner of an intersection.

See it? [Smile]

=TMP=

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-31-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The perspective of the pic is correct but most of the vanishing points are obscured, causing the buildings to look out of place.

The building with the psychedelic paint job is hiding the VP of the theater and presenting its own and your eyes jump from one set of perspectives to the other. Look at all the lines in the buildings. What should be paralell, IS paralell.

Also, there's "mosquito artifacts" around the edges of objects and moiré effects on the benches.

It's probably a real picture but it is certainly "visually busy".

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Michel,

Thanks for posting the photo of your most attractive new theatre. I especially like the choice of fine old features, and the ticket pricing for charity on a WEEKEND!
It's good to see a management doing things right for a change...

Gerard

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a very cold and unwelcoming place to watch a movie. Gee .. lets go watch a film in a box that looks like an iceberg.

I'd rather visit the colorful building. [Smile]

Ron Yost

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-31-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a very attractive and appealing building to me wish it was in downtown toronto

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-31-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, indeed.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the theatre looks natural in the picture, but all of the other buildings were added... along with the people...

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bon Chance, Jean-Michel. I wish you well with the new house. I wish that I could be there to see it. I have pleasant memories of Geneva and Aix le Bains in the summer. Part of my family is from Basel, so I have a bit of Helvetic blood in my veins and I know that lots of Switzerland is a unique mixture of old and new.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: