Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Paint for home theatre screen

Author Topic: Paint for home theatre screen
Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine is putting in a home theatre and said he heard of a special paint for the screen. He is using a video projector and said he didn't want to spend the money they wanted for a real screen. Does anyone here have any info so I can help him out?

Thanks,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-30-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Formica kitchen counter top. You will be AMAZED at how well it works.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-30-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a matte white screen, a high quality flat white latex paint is usually a good choice. "Ceiling White" is usually the most neutral and matte. Apply as several thin coats.

A gloss or eggshell finish tend to be more directional, and may actually give some gain (you should ideally curve any screen that has gain). But the specular reflection from a glossier finish may actually appear to have a real "hot spot".

If you really need some gain for a low output video projector, use a commercial gain screen, and curve it per SMPTE Recommended Practice RP95 for optimum uniformity.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another material similar to formica is sold under several trade names. One name is "Marlite". It comes in 4 X 8 sheets and costs about $10. I bought mine at Lowe's home supply. Sort through their stack until you find one with no imperfections. Works great and reflects a lot of light. [thumbsup]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send him over to the AVS forum. There's enough talk about DIY painted screens (and MANY other types) to keep him confused for days!

I'm with Brad on the Formica, tho. I tested an Infocus X1 projector last week on the same sheet of Formica I use for 35mm. Produced a very nice image, in a dark room .. tho, of course, slightly dimmer than 35mm (less sharp, too, of course, be we won't go there). A gain screen would doubtless help.

Good ice-white paint (which has LOTS of Titanium Dioxide in it) is pretty pricey these days. A sheet of 4' x 8' Formica can be had for about $80. Maybe it's a tad more than the paint alone, but it would be a 'forever' screen, and no time's wasted painting. You could even mount it slightly curved, if that's your thing. Can't peel a painted screen off the wall and take it with ya', either. [Smile]

The Home Theatre market is loaded with snakes selling over-priced products (many of their vaunted speakers, and the nonsense wire and connectors to hook them up, for example). None of the fanatics will listen to reason, either. It's a real 'religion' to some. Caution advised.

Ron Yost .. really has to figure out how to bleed some of these videophools. Just kiddin'. [Smile]

P.S.
I have to try Marlite, Jeff. Thanks for that!!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-30-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use a white plastic laminate like Formica or Marlite that has some gloss and gain, consider curving it per SMPTE RP95.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question is would the Formica work for a outdoor screen. If I was to make 4 x 8 sections that would bolt together from he back with wings to support it would the Formica hold up out doors. The other thought I had was to use pegboard and waterproof it and then paint it white so wind resistance would not be an issue. I could make a screen that was 12 by 24 (9 - 4x8 sections) then 3 sections on the bottom to get it at least 4 feet in the air that would be painted black and use wings on the back to hold it up. Any thoughts on this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: