Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Surround Speakers Polarity

Author Topic: Surround Speakers Polarity
German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Few months ago I was checking the polarity of all the speakers in several auditoriums. I use a "phase checker" and "toc toc" test CD but I've noticed when I reach the surround speakers (JBL 8330) the bass is in correct phase but the medium and tweeter has the polarity inverted. Why is the conection setting in this way? Is there a reason?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-30-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there may be an actual switch on top of the speaker that changes this. You may have to take a look and see.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The switch is present in old model but there's not in the new one.
 -
I don't think it's wrong wired...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-30-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some speakers are designed with one driver connected for reverse polarity in order to get a smoother overall frequency response, especially near the crossover frequency.

Take a look at the very last section of this JBL Tech Note to see an example of this.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul!

They has a unknow reasons to build speakers on that way whatever I didn't understand but now I know they has a reason.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

By the past I've used an polarity tester and a "toc-toc" CD to check the polarity, but this method din't gave me an accurate result.
It was better to climb up a stair and check the connection of each speakers.
At this occasion, I noticied that 2/3 of the surround speakers was wired with the wrong polarity [Mad]
I had to correct this problem quickly, but never a customer notified a surround problem in this auditorium [Big Grin]

Bye,

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-30-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The switch on the JBL 8330 is for roll off ( if required ) for analog surround or full range when this speaker is used for foreground music applications. To check phasing more properly would be to use pink noise and an analyzer on the speaker. When doing a phasing test with "pop" type sound signal on a surround, the bass speaker should be favored and the pick up mike as close as possible to the speaker as not to pick up reflections in the room that may cause false readings. The CD set up is not as accurate as dedicated "popper" and receiver test tools. Stage speakers are usually easier to isolate the High ( Mid ) Low due to the more spread out location of the components.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: