Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question on Eprad Mutts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question on Eprad Mutts
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can any body tell me the type and ratings of the servo motors used on EPRAD DBL Muts? Need Max Voltage, MAX RPM, Motor manufacturer, etc.
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most were 115vdc General Electric Boston Gear motors

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 09:11 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have eprad wall mutts, as Gordon said they are GE 115VDC motors. There is also a label on them that says Paterson Gearmotor, 345 RPM, 21 in-lb torque, 1.2 Amps, class B-R, 115VDC, permanent magnet, Motor model 5BPA34LAB3D, Gear model GS112DX3UY12A01. Hope this helps.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Helps a great deal!
Thanks!

P.S. Wouldn't know where I could find a couple cheap would you?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-30-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
Do a search of surplus places on the net such as Surplus sales in Omaha. You are bound to find something. I like the Double Mut alot and it works great. Building one would not be difficult and if you need and dimensions or schematics let me know. Be sure to includ the 300 watt light bulbs to dampen things out. It'll run without them but not as smooth.

Did any of you know that the Double MUT was originally designed for 3 strip Cinerama????
Mark @ CLACO

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 12:07 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have built my version of the DBL MUT and I am using 2 150RPM fitness machine motors and it seems like it will work ok but the motors are a little noisy for my liking. I still need some 3" film guide rollers and keepers to finish this project and I am finding them hard to find at least in a price that I can afford.
Here are some photos of the HunterLabs Spool system.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Thanks.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Do you have those dimensions and sch. in electronic format? If so would you email them to me. Id like to build one for myself. I have a platter but dont have room in my new place to use it so Id like something smaller and more compact. THanks.
Dave

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a manual for the double mutts in the manuals section right here on film-tech. The wall mutts are pretty much the same thing, just mounted differently. By the way, the manual talks about the lamps that are right accross the motors, but does not show them in the diagrams.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, you're a wonder! Love folks that can make something out of not much .. came from my dear old Grandpa. He had to do that his whole life and never once complained.

Resourcefullness .. a lost art in America.

Ron Yost

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-30-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, is there nothing you can't build? I'm impressed!

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of drives for home made mutts my experience maybe of value to someone. I built a system using the take up motor and combined gear reduction and spindle unit from a scrapped Cinemecannica Vic 10. This is simply bolted through an mdf plate which is mounted verticly on a solid base. The half inch spindle protrudes through a 56mm hole to the other side. The motor and take up assembly is held in place by the clamping ring which is mounted on the reverse side to that of the motor. This clamping ring is part of the original assembly. The mounting is therefore the same as that used originally to mount the assembly to the lower projector magazine plate.

I have mounted a sprung roller arm which drops to take up the slack momentarily, at the start. This, then very gradually, lowers again during the filling of a 10,000 ft reel. There is no speed nor torque control. The slipping clutch handles the load admirably and with the jockey roller arm , an even tensioned wind is accomplished.

The feed is simply from the feed clutch, spindle and support arm from the same machine with the magazine removed. This is mounted against the reverse side of the mounting plate to that of the take-up motor and acts as a bracket support for the plate. The base of the magazine support arm had to be raised 40mm to allow clearance for 10,000ft reels. The feed spindle is 400mm from the base and the take up spindle is 900mm from the base, each spindle pointing in opposite directions.

It works a treat and is very compact. The only complication, is that the motor require 3 phase supply and reels with half inch bores are required. There is no strain at any time on the film. I use a Kalee sound head which has a sprung roller before the take-up to remove any irregularities. This spring assembly is not under any load at all, in fact it runs smoother than it does feeding 2000 ft reels on it's own take-up spindle.

If you have access to a scrapped Vic 10, there is very little extra cost involved. It's an ideal project for someone that hasn't got an engineering workshop and doesn't want to re-invent the wheel. The motor was designed to take 5,000 ft of 70mm film and it handles 10,000 ft of 35mm film very well. I suggest that the distance between projector and the device be as short as practicable.

At present I wind the film back by hand but the recent gift of another Vic 10 take-up motor unit is going to change that.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive setup! I had been thinking about building a system that is like a 2 deck platter and the films pays out from the edge and requires rewinding, like the IMAX MK1 platter system. My main concern was how to use the variacs for takeup and payout tension, how long a dancer arm would I need? The Eprad DBL MUTT had chain driven variacs off the dancer arms, so what size gears would I need and where would I but them from? At the moment at work we have an ORC platter thats has variac driven take up, just a normal of the shelf one with the knob removed!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 04:59 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would make a double MUT or spool tower from a Kelmar rewind motor & control unit fitted with a double v pulley & a pair of combo reel/guidance arms that have the take-up pulley on them.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAN THAT IS COOL! [Smile]

I really liked the double mutts we used to have in the other theatre. They were old and getting worn out, but I really liked the concept. They had all metal rollers which I didn't like but that is a chagable thing.

Does your speed knob allow to change direction with just the knob making it possible to rewind or play from either side?

Excellent work... just great. [Smile]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first off thanks for the compliments [thumbsup]

To answer some of your questions:

I have to say that I am still needing 6- 3" film guidance rollers to finish this monster. I would have thought those things would be all over the place but apparently not.

Anyway, on the dancer arms, I am using a 4:1 gear ratio as the arms will travel about 90 degrees and I am needing full rotation of the 20K Pot. I have 3:1 right now as I miscalculated so I had to order new gears [Frown] .

The speed control on rewind is one way only. I know it would be beneficial to have it reversable but it will have to wait for a later revision so in the meantime I will just have to watch out for the yellow tape [Big Grin] .

I have yet to actually run this contraption with my projector (see above roller statement) and I am worried about everything working right and not having a major disaster happen. My hope is that it will work right the first time [Eek!]

Anyway, I will post a progress report if anybody is interested.

Later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: