Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Optical sound format for Clockwork Orange re-issue? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Optical sound format for Clockwork Orange re-issue?
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 06:25 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMDB notes that the sound format for the Clockwork Orange re-issue was Dolby Digital. It was originally mono, did they re-mix it for stereo & put an SR optical track on it?

IMDB also has the re-issues as being outside the US. Has anyone in the US gotten the DD print?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 06:32 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They certainly made a stereo re-mix of it, because my DVD has both mono and 5.1 channel versions, both are Dolby Digital, there is no DTS, MPEG or PCM. Whether the stereo mix was used on the theatrical re-release I don't know, but I would think it was probable, unless it was not ready at the time that the new negatives were made, which I suppose would be possible if the theatrical re-release was a rush job.

I seem to remember that the DVD release came very soom after the theatrical re-release, at least it did here in the UK, but the situation here with this title was rather strange, the film having been withdrawn from distribution at the request of Kubrick soon after its original release, and no video release ever having been made. The film had been totally unavailable here, in any legitimate form, for almost thirty years.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-29-2003 06:46 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new prints that were made around 1997-1998 for the WB 75th festival had mono tracks (and looked stunning). Those print numbers begin with "97" or "98" (e.g. "98001"). As far as I know, it hasn't been reprinted since then.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 08:54 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a film has a Dolby Digital track then the analog track will be Dolby SR. I think this is a rule.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-29-2003 09:11 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I think that is an unwritten rule. I spoke with someone at Dolby in L.A. once and they said it could be anything, if the filmmaker wanted it that way.

The original release of Clockwork Orange had mono Dolby A tracks.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 09:15 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott wrote:

quote:

The new prints that were made around 1997-1998 for the WB 75th festival had mono tracks (and looked stunning). Those print numbers begin with "97" or "98" (e.g. "98001"). As far as I know, it hasn't been reprinted since then.

Our release was quite a bit later than that; I can't remember the date, but when Kubrick died the NFT did a tribute season, but weren't able to include 'A Clockwork Orange' as far as I remember, but not very long afterwards the re-release was anounced. I wasn't able to get to the cinema to see it, but the DVD (with the stereo re-mix) was in the shops soon afterwards.

Tim wrote:

quote:

The original release of Clockwork Orange had mono Dolby A tracks.

When was Dolby A mono introduced on film? 1971 sounds early, but I can't find a date on the Dolby site. Were all prints Dolby? If the Cat 364 /E2 combination was available then, very few cinemas would have had it.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dolby noise reduction was used in production and post-production. Original release prints were mono and did not have noise reduction encoding.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby is credited in Clockwork Orange because it is one of the first films to use dolby noise reduction in post production sound mixing. All original release prints of the film were non-dolby mono.

/Mitchell

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy Carlos used Dolby A extensively in the production of the synthesized score for Clockwork Orange. Without a polyphonic synth and only an 8-track recorder (may have been more by that point - Switched-On Bach was only 8) tracks had to be bounced and bounced and bounced to make enough space for multi-layered orchestral arrangements. Without Dobly A it would have been mostly hiss.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 03:37 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dobly??? [Big Grin]
Spinal Tap lives!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-29-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Tommy" was Dolby A mono.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 03:48 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Tommy" had 4 Track Mag Stereo prints available and some engagements were presented in Quintaphonic Sound (5 channel). There was 70MM prints available for the 1977 reissue.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tommy probably had more different alternate sound formats than many other titles
Quintephonic 4 track qs matirxed dbx mag prints
70mm prints with Dolby NR
Dolby mono prints
standard mono prints
70mm dbx print with split surround (similar to the 35mm quint system)

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 04:41 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tommy probably had more different alternate sound formats than many other titles
Tommy has also had some Dolby SR prints made in the past decade. And recently, even some SDDS prints have surfaced (which mirror the original Quintaphonic channel layout).

quote:
70mm dbx print with split surround (similar to the 35mm quint system)
And how might such a print be reproduced if this occured prior to the introduction of Dolby split surround?

I mentioned in the CDS thread recently that the book Wide Screen Movies mentions Tommy as having the most number of print formats. I commented that Fantasia may hold that distinction if one factors in both picture and sound formats and re-releases.

A couple of years ago the American Cinematheque in Los Angeles ran a Stanley Kubrick fest. The titles in which new prints were supplied had digital sound. A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, etc.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S80/2696/2804
"This list contains films which have been released with Dolby encoded sound-tracks. In some cases the film is available with alternative formats in different countries."
  • 1972 Feb.
    Quiet Revolution
    Speed Merchants
    Little Prince
    Callan
    Stardust
    Flame
    Alfie Darling
    Rocky Horror Picture Show

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: