Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby MPU-1 questions.

Author Topic: Dolby MPU-1 questions.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 08:21 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, does anyone have a copy of page 2.6 of the manual which they could scan and e-mail to me? The copy on the Film-Tech manuals section, and the copy e-mailed to me by Peter Hall last year both have this page missing.

The pre-amp cards in my unit are a mixture of Cat 92-3 and 92-4. I need to acquire four more cards to fully populate it, are there any restrictions on which versions of the cards can be used together?

I have the older type backplane, which has been modified in the past for use with Cat 96A switch card and Cat 206 power smoothing card. On the back of the unit there are four terminals, SK17 5-8, which I do not understand. They are in two pairs, 70mm and 35mm, and each pair has one for projector 1, and one for projector 2. What are these for? It is difficult to trace where the connections go, but my guess is that they go to the four connections (11,12,13 and 14) on the cat 96A, which control the four groups of relays, and are used as outputs to control other equipment. Is this correct?

I use my unit with various makes of heads, in various locations, and it's a pain to have to re-solder the links on the backplane. I had hoped to replace the links with some small slide switches, but I haven't been able to find any with the pins at the right spacing. Does anyone know if such things exist?

Finally, is there any point on a CP-200 which can supply a sinnal to indicate whether a 35mm or 70mm format has been selected, and can be used to operate the remote format selection function of the Cat 96A?

Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's some confusion here. Are you actually looking for Section 2.6, rather than Page 2.6? Both my bound paper copy (no version info) and the PDF on Film-Tech ("Issue 2") run straight from section 2.4 to section 2.7, skipping section 2.6.

My copy has Section 2.7 on page 2.4, followed by page 3.1; the PDF has no page 2.6 between pages 2.5 and 2.7, however.

I can't comment on your more substantive questions, sorry.

--jhawk

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 02:33 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, thanks for the reply.

I was talking about the printed numbers on the top of the sheets, not the PDF document pages, so page 2.6 = section 2, page 6. If that is missing from your copy as well, maybe it contained some obsolete information which was removed by Dolby at some time, without renumbering the other pages.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.6 is marked intentionaly blank in my manual

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 10:35 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's that way in mine, too. I think Dolby left the page blank so they could add text or illustrations later, but never did. Some pages in the CP200 seem to be the same.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
There should be no reason why you cant mix the type of pre-amp cards in the MPU.
The 35 and 70 connections are for the different sets of heads on the mag penthouse. i.e. for one projector operation you wire the 35mm to proj 1 35mm, and the 70mm ones to proj 1 70mm.
Yes the CP200 can control the MPU 1 for switching from 35 to 70mm, just put the format switch to remote and wire to cp 200 correctly as per the manual, the CP can also select from P1 or P2 if required, but this is done with in the CP200 and the MPU outputs all the time from both P1 and P2 outputs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: