Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hookup Sound from RCA jacks to Dolby CP 65 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hookup Sound from RCA jacks to Dolby CP 65
Mike Markwood
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Mike Markwood   Email Mike Markwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to hookup sound from a Satellite Receiver (2-RCA Jacks for output) to a Dolby CP65. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? All I've been able to get so far is sound out of the center stage speaker and I'd like to get more than that.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-25-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply connect the L/R outputs of the satellite box to the L/R non-sync inputs, and set the jumper on one of the cards (I cannot remember which one (card or jumper) right now) to allow surround in non-sync mode and this should give you L/R/S mode (In pre-CP500 Dolby processors, non-sync never was routed to the center channel via matrixing) without having to deal with padding down the sat box (to connect it to the proj 2 solar cell inputs).

-Aaron

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 02:43 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the CP65 it is possible to set the non-sync mode to be fully matrix decoded, is it not? There's a jumper on the Cat443 for this.

Certainly on the CP50 and CP55 it's not possible, but there are ways, especially easy if you have an SRA5 installed....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-25-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are always...ways...even on the CP-50 and CP-55...but on the CP-65 a 2:4 decode is available right out of the box as others have described...set the jumper on the Cat. 443

Steve

Duncan Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Duncan Smith   Email Duncan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Steve, that's totally true. I get L,C,R,S and sub from my non-sync on my CP65 and I'm reliably informed it can be done with a CP55 and SRA5 too (not sure about the sub but I don't see why not).

Dunk. [thumbsup]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it can be done on a 50 or 55 with or without an SRA5, having an SRA5 just makes it a little neater imho.

One thing though, I often come across CP45, 65's, 500 and 650's where the operator has decided that non-sync should be pro-logic decoded. IMHO unless the non-sync source is ENcoded it sounds cack. With most of the pop music drivel they play being essentially two channel mono, or joint stereo all that really happens is most of the signal gets shoved out of the centre, with the surrounds shh shh'ing and sub going woobawoob. I much prefer to have a stereo non-sync source (CD player) in stereo, with the surrounds off. Keep the pro-logic decoding for pro-logic sources!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-29-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its easy to get a cp-55 to decode center. Just snip one diode on the cat 243. Sub on the other hand, is a bit more of a trick.

Josh

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 12:34 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Pete;

One thing I've never quite understood is how matrix decoding can extract unintended surround information. Is it because the phase shift used to encode surround can sometimes occur "naturally" in a L-R pair so to speak? I more easily get how frequencies can be re-directed to the sub(s) via OBE, etc.

Also presumably you can set up the different non-sync progs in the CP500 and CP650 so you can have one with matrix decoding and one without. But what about the CP65 and earlier? Are there any mods to switch between say CDs that are just L-R and the newer CDs which are Dolby encoded?

Cheers!

Mike Markwood
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Mike Markwood   Email Mike Markwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I set the jumper (J2) on the CAT. No. 443 for Surround.

I've tried J4 with both STD and 2:4 and all I get sound out of is my center screen speaker.

Anybody have any ideas?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible you have a mono nonsync feed? If so the decoder would give you only centre channel

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 11:07 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, what signal present LEDs are illuminating on the Cat. 242 when you're running the satellite feed?

I had this problem a few years ago with a cable TV decoder going into the CP65. In that case, though the decoder box was clearly fitted with L-R output phonos, the output was actually in mono.

This was to do with how the cable feed was connected into the decoder in the first place (via an RF input). In the end, we had to run the feed via a stereo VCR and then into the decoder, whereupon we got proper LCRS.

The actual source could be mono, but surely all satellite stations must broadcast in stereo / Dolby Surround.

Do you have any Dolby Surround-encoded CDs? That would show up if the problem is in the Non-sync 2:4 decoding, though it seems unlikely. It's sounds like the problem is with the decoder.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tip just in case:

Add a audio ground separating transformer between the satelite reciver ant Your Dolby processor to suppress hum and ground loops.
An alternative to the expensive Di-Boxes is to use an audio transformer such as used in car audio installations.
I've used a bactch in some multiplexes and i'ts sound well, and nobody will note an alteration of the Non-sync audio signal...

Bye,

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-05-2007 05:26 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1490 days since the last post.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2007 05:26 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Jones
Its easy to get a cp-55 to decode center. Just snip one diode on the cat 243. Sub on the other hand, is a bit more of a trick.
Which diode on the cat 243 do you snip to get center?

If you wanted OBE enabled how would that be done?

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2007 02:20 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle look no further than here in Film-tech. Search for "How do I get 4 channel non-sync from a CP55?"

Christos.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: