Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton ASK1 Automation

Author Topic: Kinoton ASK1 Automation
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone got any information on this automation they can share....

Manual would be nice and an example of the data files for each session.

I recently wrote an excel file to easily create the session files for the Pennywise CA21 automation extracting its data from a time sheet utility and would like to consider doing similar with the ASK1.... if it's possible?

I currently have no access to this system or an example of its data file structure so anything would be of interest.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-24-2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were you, I'd write directly to http://www.kinoton.com

They probably will send you the documentation. I have not personally ever used the ASK-1.

Steve

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Steve.... I find that if a manufacturer does not have the manual on their web site they are not normally happy to provide it otherwise....

I write utilities for my own use, but have sold one on in the past to allow easy creation of files for door signs. In that case it was in Visual Basic. In the case of the CA21 it was in Excel and purely for my own use. The utility extracted the times from a timesheet utility and created the CA21 Session files automatically. Saved typing in the info twice and reduced errors. It's more an exercise than anything else.... just to see if I can do it.

If I can't find a manual and an example of the files otherwise I'll give them a try.

Regards.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-24-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton is a strange lot...they issue nice manuals with each piece of equipment...they also constantly update them as necessary. They don't post manuals openly on their web site but on a recent job, the company I subcontracted for received the operation manual for the projectors (FP-38E) directly from Kinoton in Germany in pdf form. Hence, I said ask them!

Steve

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheer's Steve I'll do that in the next day or so....

It's Bank holiday weekend here so things are always a bit laid back.... as it dead stop!

I always like to have a single time sheet that covers every aspect of the day to day running of the boot.

I lke to have a time sheet that tells you whats happening in every booth not just the booth you are in... There are daily sheets at each projector.

I also like to have weekly sheets that show whats happening on a screen by screen basis.

If at all possible I use a single time sheet utility that will create the required sheets from one utility.... and the data files for the automation. The manufacturers of automation don't have any facility to extract the information from external files... hence the need to create custom utilities that will do everything in one go.

These utilities are not normally for public use as they are very custom in their design but do simplify operation and remove the need for repetative data entry.

Happy to provide example of earlier excel time sheet utilities for anyone interested.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-24-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked with the ASK1 a lot. What exactly do you want to know?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Manual would be nice.... but more importantly an example of the daily data file would be very helpful. Many systems use a simple text file for the data for each day... If Thats the case then I can possibly make a utility to create a file that will extract the information from a booth time sheet file..... Maybe!

I'll have the chance to look at this system in a few weeks.... but would be nice to see it before.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-24-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ASK1 has a directory on the hard disc for each projector, and then a file for each day. It has been a while, but I think the files are also text files, like in the CA-Link software. You can define one of four programs and edit the programs for the show details. Then you upload the programs into the projector`s memory. In daily operation, you just have to thread the projector and then press a button which unlocks the next program. You can also lock the projector and run it manually or override the program, or give manual automation cues to advance the program to the next step.
The system can also monitor operational parameters like bulb hours. You can also program fader settings which is particularly nice.
However, I think the CA-link software which is basically a remote control for the EMK1 is even more effective as you can also remote control the EMK1 in manual mode just as if you were standing next to it. You can also spontaneously change parameters at the projector if needed, then download and change those parameters on the computer later. If a situation requires quick changes of defined parameters, it is usually best with the ASK1 to lock the projector and run the respective show manually.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: