Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP650, 10 channels compaible ?

Author Topic: Dolby CP650, 10 channels compaible ?
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Yesterday my boss and I, Upgraded one of our Dolby CP650 with one Cat. 790 card to be able decoding Dolby Digital EX. at the same time we upgraded the soft to the version nr: v. 2.1.9.0 And something surprised me:
 -
Like displayed on the pic (Sorry for the poor quality of the picture) The LCD display show the L-C-R-Ls-Rs-BsL-BsR-SW channels, but between the L-C and C-R channels, an empty space appears: Will it mean that Dolby CP650 could in the future deliver up to 10 audio channels ?
What will happend with the DB25 Pin out ?
And how connect an external digital processor such a DTS XD 10 to the CP650 ?
My boss told me that Dolby made an option crossover card for the cp 650. True or false ? And in this case how to connect a booth monitor with the CP 650 ? (generaly, the input point on a booth monitor featuring only one input point per channel at the processor level)

Best regards,

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have one CP650 with new software and it is configured like this. My boss also told me that it is for 5 stage channel compatibility. But I do not know more...

Bye!
A

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as listed on Dolby.com, the CP650XO has 5-screen channel capability.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-24-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The I/O port is where other channels can reside...the Main out is kinda fixed. The CP-650 is 10-channel capable with the new cards (and I believe with the AES ouput card as well).

As to monitors...there are several out there that can handle internal crossovers (internal to the processor)...such as the Panastereo monitor, I believe the USL CM-680 can and the SMART MN-610 can (haven't confirmed the USL or SMART since I would NEVER have an internal crossover...violates my "don't dabble" rules..also significantly increases wiring time).

Steve

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-24-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you know...I'm at the edge of my little seat here waiting to learn all about the "don't dabble" rules (plural?).

Are these like "not on the first date" kind of rules?

Hmmm...might be better to start a new thread? I'd like to nominate "dabble, dabble, toil and trabble" for the title of the new thread but I just know we'd get in trouble for that one! [Wink]

...and could somebody please correct the typo in the subject title of this thread? ("compatible" not "compaible")

[ 08-24-2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Manny Knowles ]

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2003 02:43 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny were you hiding under a table for that picture?

If so Why?.... if not Why?

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2003 03:25 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Manny is hidded under a girl's skirt [Razz]

just kiddin' guys ! [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-24-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By "dabble" I mean just because you may be decent at one thing...don't dabble into something just to round out your line...either go in with full force or stay the heck out...don't experiment with the real world.

There are people doing the DSP thing for crossovers and they don't just do it to round out the product line they are 1st rate players...same with crossovers (analog even). Personally, I'm partial to RANE products but that is just my opinion. I'd much rather install a RANE RPM-26Z if I were going the DSP signal processing route or a pair of RANE AC-22B or AC-23B (depending on application) before I used ANYONES internal crossovers. They offer much more flexibility, superior performance and I haven't put all my eggs in one basket.

Now there are other fine crossover and DSP manufacturers out there, RANE just happens to be my favorite (well this week at least [Wink] ) They are just my example of a company that is in the signal processing business, not dabbling.

Steve

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding (limited) the 650 is not capable of an internal crossover, the cp500 was the last on I think.

As far as wiring amp/monitor on my last 650 I used an Odyssey Products monitor, you can order a board that mounts to the back of the CP that allows you to use a ribbon cable from the processor to the monitor. Also located on this board is a terminal strip to allow you to wire to the amp.

Good luck

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-24-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc,

You are incorrect. The CP-45 has crossovers built in and the CP-650 as of firmware version 2.1.x.x has up to 3-way crossovers available with the appropriate upgrade board. The order code for a new CP-650 is the CP650XO with the crossover board.

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-24-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it not make sense to have an internal X-over if the X-over is using DSP and it is given the signal in the digital domain? Re-digitizing over and over just bothers me. With an external DTS box, you'd be (DTS)D->A; (CP)A->D, D->A; (X-over)A->D, D->A. How can that not take its toll?

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-24-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

It depends...how good is the crossover algorythm? With the RANE products I mentioned, you could take the output of the CP-650 in the digital domain and not convert to analog until post processor as well.

If you are using an analog processor such as Panastereo, you could bypass the equalizers and perform all of the EQ and crossover within the RANE in the digital domain and only add those filters which are necessary...thereby minimizing phase anomolies associated with graphic EQs.

Don't get me wrong...if you are using a JBL 4675 (an excellent speaker system) in a well behaved (designed) room...screw the whole DSP thing all together...an AC-22B will be all you need for a crossover.

Steve

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-24-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's an umbrella behind me in my member photo [thumbsup]

...And why is that typo still in the subject header for this thread??? [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: