Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film trap cooling

Author Topic: Film trap cooling
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with my 3k houses (strong highlight II, 1060 projector) with the metal heat sinks getting too hot and warping. Often it gets bad enough that it will scrape on the shutter and I am worried that it may damage the shutter or jam it up and strip a gear.

My question is:

Would I be better off installing a glass heat filter, or the add on fan for the film trap? Water cooling would be too obvious to the higher ups and it out of the question.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Install a heat filter & or Cold Mirror rather than just going for water cooling.

A heat filer / Cold mirror would reduce the heat over the entire gate area including the film itself. Water cooling would only cool the gate and runners, the film would still be subjected to the intense heat that is after all the cause of the problem.

Anything over 2k should really be using heat filters and cold mirrors.

It would be nice to be able to go for the whole package but I think most would agree the Heat Filer / Mirror would offer the best overall advantage.....

Blind fold now being put on and standing against wall waiting for firing squad!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-21-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A highlite console would have by default a cold mirror
There is a blower that fits on the back of the projector head to cool the shutter box

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-22-2003 04:35 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone somewhere say that the XLs can be equippend with an air turbine like the Centurys? We have water cooling, but I was impressed with the difference the air turbine addition on our Century SAWs has made keeping the gate area cool. I may want to add the same to the XLs, if it can be done easily.

Frank

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-22-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heat:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/fall97.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/winter97.shtml

Remember, the heat (infrared) energy removed by the heat filter / cold mirror needs to go somewhere. Whatever is being used as the "heatsink" should be well vented to keep it cool. If the dichroic coating is on a metal mirror, the mirror itself is the heatsink.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-22-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Strong makes a retrofit kit "Bug Impaction Blower Kit" that screws right on over the wire connection cover in the shutter housing. Far as I know its also pretty inexpensive. Any X-L running 3KW or over should have one installed so the machine does not turn into a molten blob of alumnium.

Don;t know why anyone would want to add extra air cooling to a Century. They have about the best water cooling of any U.S. built projector.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: