Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A note to all in Sydney regarding Finding Nemo

Author Topic: A note to all in Sydney regarding Finding Nemo
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 05:32 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are in Sydney or are planning a visit over the next few weeks, the GUVOYTS complex in George Street (So named by us after it combined Greater Union, Village and Hoyts under the one roof) will be screening Finding Nemo in DLP.

This is the first film to be released here in this format so you may be interested in taking a look.

...or maybe not, I just thought you might like to know.

Of course, there will be comparisons made to the 35mm versions of the film, but Buena Vista have made sure the DLP will get the kudos as there's not a single new print in the country. All are used and treated with PhotoGuard. Pity, I would have liked to make a DLP / FilmGuard comparison...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I would hope that you would go see it and have an open mind towards what you will see.

Its too bad you don't have a film print to compare against in regards to how the colors appears. Since they are probably using a 1K chip, follow John P. suggestions and sit at least 1 1/2 screen heights back.

Paul

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-20-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my film-to-dlp tests, Finding Nemo was one of the few movies that looked better in DLP. The film prints are "fuzzy" in comparison.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2003 07:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Is that going to be in all theatres at VUGTOYS or just one? (assuming its on more than one screen). If so do you know which theatre? I don't think I'll run the risk of asking someone in the box office.

I might make the trip down to check it out.

Steve Brown

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-24-2003 07:24 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen

It's only one screen. I'll find out the number and report back.

John

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 06:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John....

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah,

So NOW I know where our DLP went.

Will it go like this...
Opening night, could all patrons in C#1 (dlp) please move to C2,C3 or C4. (You'll only miss the first 10 minutes, promise - then prints 2 and 3 get thrown due to photo guard or training choc toppers)
Second night, Choc topper (up-to-speed by now cant find execute or play button, could all patrons move to.....? - a real theatre.

Gota love one of those three companies. [Wink]

But really I'll be interested to see/hear how it goes, because, ERM my first DLP experence was not pleasant, but that was 12 months ago.
(BTW: It was not my fault, they didnt even test the sound, and it failed to work on Panastereo 1200 properly - sounded like crap but we lived through it - we removed a mixer board they had decided to use, and it worked fine after that!) [Smile]

Bill.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-25-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill

The Awfullum did't run DLP. This is the real thing, not just a video projector. (The projector was a Barco RH with a 2k xenon from memory)

Stephen, it's going into Cinema 7 I believe.

John

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: