Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » NEMO WAS FOUND! (with head I.D's on the wrong reels)

Author Topic: NEMO WAS FOUND! (with head I.D's on the wrong reels)
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 05:28 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.

We open Finding Nemo on August 28, but we have some school functions commencing this week (August 21) so our prints turned up yesterday.

Unfortunately (Grrrr...) they have been PhotoGuarded and so no FilmGuard cleaning for these prints. They were prepared in the USA for us by the PhotoGuard people and as you may or may not know, they put their own ID stickers on each reel as a way I guess of them knowing that the reel has been treated and that it's ready to go. Unfortunately, it must have been a big day for whoever did it because he got 5 out of the 6 reels wrongly labelled. 6 was 3, 5 was 2, 2 was 6 etc. Reel 1 was the only one that was correct. Good, eh? Leaders were all on the correct reels, it must have been just too much trouble for whoever did it to actually try to correlate the stickers to the appropriate reel.

They got it right for the second print though so maybe there was a shift change between the two or something. [Wink]

To whoever it was who managed to do such an awful job, a wholehearted [fu] to you from us. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 08:28 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that its a lucky thing that the person could write the numbers at all.

Companies here are going for cheap labor while the stockholders make $$$$$!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-20-2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's ashamed. Now's your chance to raise the dead on this one though. Australia isn't THAT far away for them to ship you another, and another, and another, until they send you a clean print.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-24-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we're not THAT far away... [Wink]

Honestly though, it's next to impossible to get replacement reels and certainly not for the opening weekend.

For example, when we opened Spiderman, we rejected a reel as it had been damaged at the lab. We ended up having to run with that reel for the first week anyway as there were NO, that's right...NO spare reels or prints in the country. They hadn't allowed for any to be faulty.

Pretty darn stupid if you ask me.

We recently ran with a yellow reel one on one of our American Pie prints. This ran for 1 week also for the same reason.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY JOHN!!

I hope you didnt join up Nemo out of sequence.
I know you would never go by anything other than what is PRINTED on the the heads and tails.
We havent got ours yet, I MAY or MAY-NOT give Brett a 'heads-up' about the problem:) (Why are we getting recycled yank prints and not ATLAB ones? - I'll let you know what we end up with.)

With Spiderman, I think the reason there were no spare prints is that a lot of people here thought it was going to be a flop, then it did like, a huge first week in the USA, so everyone jumped on board.

A screw up we had this weekend was 'Turandot Project' advance screenings, it had NO SUBTITLES, so its been sent back and a brand new print WITH subtitles should arrive for thursday (was expected today Monday) And the funnist thing is the GM (you know who) watched it last Monday.

Now I dont if he thought it was meant to be without subtitles, or could not get another print in time or thought it was like that Mel Gibson Jesus thing they are going on about, that is not subtitled by choice.

Anyway, lets hope NEMO is huge, because nothing ELSE is doing any business atm.

Bill.

Ashley Nugent
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Ashley Nugent   Email Ashley Nugent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

The print we received on Tuesday the 26th, three spools were rejuvinated and the other three were not. None of the heads and tails for each of the spools had frames of picture on them to match the spools they were attatched too.(Just black film)
I screen checked it the next morning and luckily it was all in order.
I have not had a print like that in a while and especially not a big release film like Nemo.

It pays to do screen checks.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago when we were sent a print of "Once We Were Warriors" it arrived with no Heads or Tails , and the only ID was a piece of Tape with a Number on it , well thats the way a I ran it for 1 week , until someone mentioned they had seen the movie before and that it was out of sequence ????? I got then to tell me how the story went together and then swapped the reels and came up with the movie the director planned , the strange thing is that the ones who had seen the movie liked my version better [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: