Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter Reel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Platter Reel
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

I saw one of that "platter reel" in the latest sneak preview. I have two of them but I cannot realize how does it works...

Can someone help me?

Bye
A

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You HAVE two, but can't figure out how they work? [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a review on the site with some basic tips and pictures that was published a few years ago.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 12:46 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad!

Rick,
Yes and would you like to know why? Because I just realize that I'll never be able to use them since out rewind bench are not so big... [Frown] This is why I didn't realize how does it works before!
Bye!
A

Edit: I found that my rewind bench can support that reels. I just understand why I didn't their use before: the central core is missing...

NOW I see how useful are these things!!!!

Bye!
A

[ 08-23-2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Antonio Marcheselli ]

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick and Brad

Finally I found:

1. The central core (was missing, this is because I didn't realize before how to use them!)
2. Instructions
3. Rubber (neoprene?) strips

I read your review, I realize that I do not need more than two reel since I can slide the print from the bottom flange direclty on the platter.

I do not fully understand, however, the use of the rubber/neoprene strips. The Blue/Black one is what I need to make the core easier to remove, right? I remove the blue/black strip and then the core. What about the other thiny ones? I realize that they are used when I remove the "coming attractions" (as instructions says). Should I use them to have more space in the center of the print so that I can insert a reel of trailers (for example) directly in the center? Or should I use them in a different way?

Thank to Film-Tech no more rewind bench job at midnight on thursday... [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Bye
A

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by chance does anyone know how much one of these cost.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, I do not use the rubber strips that come with the platter reel. I wind directly onto the core, but then again I have my clutch tension at a low enough point that the film winds tight, but the core can easily be removed.

Darryl, in the neighborhood of $350 depending on your dealer and assuming you do not order the "carry case" for it.

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Something just occured to me when you mentioned the "carrying case". Would that not be useful if you were transporting a film on the platter reel from on theater to another while it was raining?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be, but I've never used it and in Darryl's case I'm betting he would rarely have a need for it.

I wonder if the carry case was designed intelligently, or some kind of clip on nightmare. Anyone ever seen or used one?

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the ones I've seen are the ones in question,
they're not bad. A large canvaslike red material with a good heavy duty zipper. The back has a hard insert which keeps its shape and makes it easier to insert the reel. The front unzips about halfway down. Fairly good handles, but awkward to carry by yourself.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm getting curious: I kept my old spool towers in both booths, when I bought platter systems - partly to not get rid of something, that actually works, -partly to save money for the muts, and last, because I have not enough room for the muts ! First show runs from tower to platter and the last vice versa, and all editing on old fashioned rewind table. I have never tried to (or seen anybody) make up a film directly onto the platter. -Is the make-up job done in normal platter speed (projection speed), or how long does this take You ?

Per

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 07:00 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, and others

I used the large reels yesterday, I have few questions.

1. When you rewind the film directly on the large reel (so that you can move it or break down) what has to suppose to use to lock the reel to the platter? Neoprene bumpers are enough? I tried and seems ok but I would like your opinion!

2. I really didn't understand how do you slide off the bottom flange when you have put the film on the platter (to reuse the reel). I cannot understand from the review, can explain me better??

Thanks!!

Bye
A

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following is my post from another thread regarding these reels, maybe it will help.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
They've used these things at the Toronto International film festival for the last few years. If they are the same, look at the centre ring that the flanges attach to. Somewhere around it, you should notice what looks like a slot screw. If you turn it with a screwdriver, it will expose itself at the other end as a pin that can be used to engage in the holes on the deck you would normally put the takeup ring. There is no pin for the other side, but there is a hole you can insert something to secure it. I've seen nails or a small screwdriver works fine as well. The idea is to leave the flange attached and lay it on the deck. After the show, simply put the top flange back on with the spindle adapter. The pin then gets turned back up and engages a hole on the top flange, locking both in place.
I have only seen them in use with strong platters, and for the most part, they work fine. No clearance problems when taking up or paying out, but watch out for the black circular sticky pads on the outside of the flanges. They can come off while your'e centering the print and get stuck on the film underneath. You don't see it until after it has jammed up the centrepiece

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 05:07 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Per Hauberg:
I have never tried to (or seen anybody) make up a film directly onto the platter. -Is the make-up job done in normal platter speed (projection speed), or how long does this take You ?

The makeup is controlled by the makeup table speed knob. You CAN fly but faster of course isn't always better. I learned the hard way that it is easier to get the film stopped if half of the reel falls apart or some other accident happens going slowly than it is going super fast. Film gets wrapped around everything if you know what I mean. So, for nearly a year now I've kind of been the slowest at building up and breaking down because I don't see the need in going that fast. If I am building up from an hour reel, I'll go about twice the speed that the film would play at. If it's a 3 hour reel I'll go a lot faster since it's designed for fast speed rewinds.

Jeff Klump
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Jeff Klump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never use the mut reel to reel though because the risk of making a bad splice under the platter or scratching the film. I go 6k to 6k.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: