Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A way to mount Simplex 35 on a standard base?

Author Topic: A way to mount Simplex 35 on a standard base?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to mount a simplex 35 Pr1014 projector and Simplex SH7310 sound head to a base that currently has a Royal Sound Master Sound Head Model 6 Ser#3706 & Film Head Ballantyne 7964/F mounted on it?
Or does the Simplex SH7310 only work with the matching "cabinet" style base they originally came with.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The model 6 and the Simplex soundhead have the same bolt pattern on the rear.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Well I'll be. For some reason at some point in time I was led to believe that you could only use the cabinet style base that they originally came with. Or you had to use some sort of adapter.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I could be wrong, but an additional spacer might have to be used in some circumstances. I ran across this once when I converted a Cineshittie setup to a Ballentyne Pro-35/with the Model 7 soundhead on an ORC console. The snood on the ORC console was too long. Also, the bolt-up to the adapter of the console didn't have enough clearance without fouling the sound head casting. I had to get two 1/4 inch aluminum plates made at the local boat shop and stuff them between the bracket and soundhead so I could bolt the sound head up to the adapter. After I did that, everything fit just fine.

Since you have a regular base, this should not be a problem for you. But I thought I should mention this for others who have ORC consoles and want to dump their Cineshitties in favor of a better projector.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 03:09 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a base that currently has a Royal Sound Master Sound Head Model 6 Ser#3706 & Film Head Ballantyne 7964/F
Brad,

Could you post a picture of the above items? I'd love to see what those look like. I don't recall ever seeing those models pictured anywhere in the pic wherehouse.

Danny

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I'll sure try to remember to take pics to post. I live 100 miles away from the theatre so bear with me.

Thanks all others for the info about mounting the 35's on regular base's. That makes the conversion much, much more palatable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: