Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anything wrong with Century SA-TA's

Author Topic: Anything wrong with Century SA-TA's
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to upgrade my 3 projectors from the my current crappy Ballantyne model 7965F with Royal Sound master sound head model 6's.
In my previous life, all my experience has been with Simplex 35's and XL's.
Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of with the Century SA-TA's with lense turrets and TR3E sound heads? Is there a better choice?
Is $6500ea for a used SA-TA with sound head a fair price?
Will the SA-TA fit on the same base the current Ballintynes are on?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an SA-TA. It's a fine machine, and puts out a solid picture, but I personally wouldn't put in another turret head if I didn't really need it... which (with a quad) I don't. My feeling is that a machine with a door isn't quite as noisy. The comments about turrets not aligning consistently are legion within this board, though there is something to be said about an inexperienced staff not having to handle (drop) the lenses. If you're comfortable handling your lenses and you don't need to change them during a presentation, an XL or SA would be fine.

$6500 seems steep to me, but may be reasonable if you're getting fully rebuilt (like new) heads.

Can't say about interchangeability. I have an old Royal Soundmaster in storage here, but never paid any attention to it.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a conventional projector pedestal, then the Century projector and soundhead should bolt right on with no problems. I understand there is now a Component Engineering led reverse scan kit for your old Model 6 soundhead.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-18-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed that the $6500 sounds expensive, unless the machines are beautifully rebuilt and in like-new shape with a good warranty. Or does that price also include installation? Do you really need the turret model? The single-lens variant (in good, used condition) doesn't go for anywhere near that price.

I've never even seen the turret model Centurys, but the single-lens versions (C/SA/JJ) are my favorite machines. They are super easy to thread and work on, and will run forever (or darn close to it) with a bit of care. Try to get a middle-aged Century; the new ones lack the convenient shutter timing adjustment knob.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I just today asked Component Engineering about the Model 6 sound head scan kit. They claimed to have never heard of that head.
And no, I don't believe the SA's i priced are rebuilt. I had no idea what equipment was going for these days.
Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get pricing on good used Century's or Simplex's?
I read thru some of the post's about turret problems, and I think I convinced myself to forget about them.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 09:13 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact: Louis Bornwasser this man has beautiful rebuilt Century's [thumbsup]
Hadden Theatre Supply 10201 Bunsen Way
Louisville, KY 40299 USA
Tel: (502) 499-0050
Fax: (502) 499-0052

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, if the Model 6 is what I am thinking of, it has been obsolete for years. The last one I saw was in 1982 and that was in a drive-in theatre. It was a worn-out HOS then, and I am sure it was scrapped when the drive-in closed.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-19-2003 05:38 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The last one I saw was in 1982 and that was in a drive-in theatre. It was a worn-out HOS then, and I am sure it was scrapped when the drive-in closed.

If that drive-in was owned by our mutual friend, it's probably the soundhead I've got laying here!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 07:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
What 3 projectors do you have in Evansville Indiana?

Rick

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, currently have 2 Ballantyne model 7965F and one E-7.

Paul and Jack, the model 6's I have are actually in decent shape yet. Just no way I've found to add reverse scan to them, not that I really want to. [Smile]
Time for replacement.

Steve I have seen Louis's works of art that he sells as Century rebuilds. He charges like they are too. [Smile] Too bad I can rarely ever get him to return a call when trying to price anything from him.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant where in Evansville? I thought that everything was either Showplace or Kerasotes.

Rick

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just live near Evansville, my theatre is not in this area.
Yep, Evansville is all Kerasotes and Showplace.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Scott Hicks at American Cinema Equipment. 503-285-7015 If you can not reach him just ask for me. If you are interested in rebuilt Simplex non-turret Heads with 5 star soundheads, I have three sets rebuilt and ready to go. They need a home. Chances are you will pay less than 6500 per set. If you prefer Century, I can rebuild 3 for you.

[ 08-19-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Randy Bowden ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: