Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Opinions of Component Engineering Automation

Author Topic: Opinions of Component Engineering Automation
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to buy 3 automations. The Component Engineering TA-10WC sounds like a nice setup for a reasonable price. Any negitives I need to know about? I need an automation with a status panel.
This will be in a 3 plex.
Other suggestions? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll hear no complaints out of me!

I've had one for a couple-few years now and it's worked very well. Had one minor problem with it in all the time we've had it. It was fixed pretty easily once the problem was diagnosed.

It takes a little bit of studying to figure out how to program it. But once you have it done you'll never have to do it again.

Installation is pretty easy to do, even if it's a retrofit. My projector is a mish-mash of used and new components. When it was first installed, there was NO automation. It was all manual. I got the TA-10 installed in an afternoon's work without any help. (I assume that you know basic electrical wiring.)

It uses a FM-35 cue detecor/failsafe. Cuing a film is quick and easy if worked out a good program at the start.
My cue system is:
  • Outboard cue turns the lights out when the feature starts, after the previews.
  • Inboard cue brings the lights back to 1/2 when the feature ends and the credits roll.
  • Center cue when the movie is over and it's time to shut the dowser.
  • Film Tails-out & the lights come to full and the system resets for the next show.
Operation is dead-simple once it's installed... You press the START button. [Wink] Unless you have intermissions and/or curtain calls there's not much to it. The thing just works.
I would recommend the TA-10 to almost anybody! [Smile]

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TA10 is a great unit for the price... as Randy says provided you understand how to configure them and take time to work out EXACTLY what you want them to do it's a one off job.

The thing I like most about them is that once you have got the install they way you want it... Make up your prints and there is no setting up required to run a print. Just press start and thats it... the setup follows the print.... nothing to remember or set when you move a print around... its all on the print.

It's very reliable and easy to repair should it go wrong.

The FM35 is a first class cue reader and fail safe unit being totally self contained. In the UK its used by a number of companies which speaks for itself.

The guys at CE are always helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.... something you can't put a price on!

If you ever need to run interlock then the system is simplicity itself.... Never had a single problem with it.

There are more sophisticated automations out there but the TA10 is a first class unit.

Go for it!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Randy's comments.
I have 4 of them. They've been totally trouble free. They're more flexible than a Co-Operator, especially when used with the companion FM35 cue detector/failsafe, but maybe less so than some of the programmable units out there you might use for more elaborate shows. I'm very happy with them.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent units. Very versatile and run like champions. [Smile]

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TA-10's are bulletproof! We've installed dozens up here with very few problems. The only minor downside is that you are stuck with a 7 second start sequence. However, you can modify them for a running start fairly easily if you prefer. Customer support has always been great as well.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No complaints from this end either. You'll love em!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always really liked the TA-10 and CE's customer service may be the best in the industry.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TA-10 is an excellent automation. The only issue I had with them is be very careful how and where you run the interlock connections between automations. If you can find that old thread I started some time ago, you will see how I had to pull my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong.

After I found out how the installer strung the wiring, I disconnected and abandoned the whole interlock wiring lash-up and have had absolutely no problem with them since.

Wiring error? Don't run them out of the automation, into the raceway, through the primary power raceway into the sound rack, through the sound rack, up through the speaker wire raceway, across the to the adjacent auditorium speaker wire raceway, down into the sound cabinet via the speaker wire raceway, out through the primary raceway into the main raceway and finally into the automation of the second and third projection station.

Xenon ignitions in one theatre would shut down the movies in the adjacent houses, lock up the adjacent house automation computer, burning up a couple of electric dousers, and drive the projectionist NUTS!!!!

Do it right and you should have a trouble free system.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yosher, I'll not be doing any interlock wiring. [Smile]

Thanks all for the comments. Now, where to get good prices on it?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-19-2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shop around.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 04:23 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Paul says there can 'sometimes' be problems with xenon striking causing difficulties. This is problem is not isolated to the TA10 alone... In my experience it was easily fixed by fitting the shield that CA can supply, very cheap and puts a stop to those problems associated with xenon strike.

As for interlock wiring, just as with any system, you should isolate the data cable as much as possible, running it for long lengths in parallel with other cables can be a real pain and the results can be very frustrating to say the least. As you're not planning on running interlock it's not a consideration....
but in fact it should be!

Are you going to use, now or in the future, status panels? If so then it 'IS' a consideration you should take into account as they use the same communication system as interlocking.

Just to repeat this is not a TA10 alone problem... it's good practice to isolate data cables as much as possible.

[ 08-21-2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Ken McFall ]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
out of the automation, into the raceway, through the primary power raceway into the sound rack, through the sound rack, up through the speaker wire raceway, across the to the adjacent auditorium speaker wire raceway, down into the sound cabinet via the speaker wire raceway, out through the primary raceway into the main raceway and finally into the automation of the second and third projection station
What's the problem with that, Paul???? Isn't that how you routed the coax from your transmitter to the tower??? [evil]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. My predecessor did. It gives RF up the Gazoo. [Big Grin]

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 10:31 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have quite a few TA-10's and find that you really can't beat them.......Have only had a few problems with some FM-35's

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: