Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Norelco help.

Author Topic: Norelco help.
Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 12:38 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently ordered pressure bands for my AAII. I received bands that are the same as normal but they have a black velvet attachment on the film side. The folks at Kinoton said these are the new improved type. Im just wondering if anyone else has used them yet or has any experiance with them. When changing oil in an AAII how much do you use? Ive always used 2.5 quarts.
Thanks for the help! Brain

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always used velvet on the bands as it greatly improves the image stability but they must be cleaned frequently

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you recommned cleaning them?

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a time we are supplying the velvet covered bands instead of the steel ones for the DP-70/AA-II at no change in price. Usually these are much more expensive. They give a steadier image. Under the velvet the bands are the same, so is you wanted more picture movement you could scrape the velvet off.

Oil capacity is about 1/2 Gallon, depends on projection angle.

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too would like to hear suggestions on cleaning the velvet bands. And I have another question on a similar subject.
The gate? (where the bands are attached) at least on both of our norelco's moves a bit. Which means the aperture plate moves. Is this just something you deal with on a DP70 or are ours messed up, if it is normal, is there a location that is proper for the gate to be? i.e. pushed all the way in or out.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 03:11 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleaning of velvet: An old toothbrush is excellent.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 09:39 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told that on some Norelco's the new bands may cause the aperature plate to press against the bands. You might want to check this when installing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-19-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will be comming out with our own gate bands for the DP-70 in the very near future. As good or better than the originals and far less in price. The Kinoton velvet versions last about a month in a grind operation if kept clean.

As for the oil level, the original Phillips oil sight glass had a circle in the center of it to aid in indicating the correct level. Down tilt requires less oil, while level or slight uptilt requires quite a bit more. I reccomend using LaVezzi Synthetic oil in the DP-70. Machines run with this oil have far less mechanism noise than those that are using the standard Norelco oil. The weight of both oils is almost exactly the same.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: