Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamphouse Wiring

Author Topic: Lamphouse Wiring
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to go pick up the wire today that will run from the rectifier to the lamphouse. My "tech" told me to get "DC cables". What an I susposed to get?

My rectifier is a Kniesly "Kni-tron" (4kw), and my lamphouse is a 4kw Xenex II.

I've looked in both manuals, but neither specify what type or size of wire. The electrical contractor is NOT hooking up the projection equipment, the tech is.

Any help would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use welding cable probably #1 but specifie that it needs to have an insulation rating of 600volts to be UL approvable (it is often reffered to as "Entertainment Cable" now
It is for use in free air only so a fiberglass sleeve (alpha makes those) should be put over it
The other type is a fiberglass braided teflon cable

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is for use in free air only so a fiberglass sleeve (alpha makes those) should be put over it

Are you saying that it shouldn't be in a "liquid-tight" conduit running from the rectifier to the lamp?

The manuals also mention a "GREENFIELD fitting"... what the heck is that?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greenfield is another term for flex conduit.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's DC so we'd reccomend stranded cable rather than solid - it's more suitable for high I DC and keeps inductance to a minimum.. Reccomemd minimum of 16mm diameter..

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-18-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For 4KW lamps, #2 awg should suffice. As Gord said, use "welding" cable. It has a high-strand count and is suitable for DC. It is also often available in Black and Red (or orange).

As to the covering...I always use Greenfield (metallic flexible) or "sealtite" for the rectifier to lamphouse run.

Steve

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord and Steve are correct. But keep this rule in mind: it never hurts to use a larger guage cable/wire...or one that is larger than necessary. But by anymeans, do not use an underrated cable. This rule can apply to any type of electrical circuit.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with the electrical parts house in Nashville, and they don't carry anything that big. They could order it, but it would take 7-10 days.

I called Kniesley direct, and spoke with someone there. They had the cable in-stock, and said it would be #4 SMRL. I ordered it directly from them, and they will custom manufacture it to the length I require, complete with the cable ends ready to hook up. I thought the price would end up being outrageous, but it wasn't really that bad.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-18-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A welding supply house would've had it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you ordered that cable from Kneisley, make sure you get a UL Certification and specifications with it. Without it, the electrical inspector could refuse to "sign you off" until the documents are produced.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post deleted due to placement in worng topic.

[ 08-19-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Rick Long ]

William H. Ward
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for William H. Ward   Email William H. Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever hear of "motion picture cable"? It was very fine stranded copper wire with, above all things, asbestos insulation. It is very flexible and came in sizes of #6 to 4-Ought. I am sure they have done away with the asbestos and most likley went to a safer cover. I worked with that type of cable for many years and never had any kind of problem.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 12:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Asbestoes covered cable is illegal in canada and most theatre insurance forms have a clause requireing its removal

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2003 01:03 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: