Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eiki EX-2000A 16mm Xenon -- shorted circuit? Lamp not firing.

Author Topic: Eiki EX-2000A 16mm Xenon -- shorted circuit? Lamp not firing.
Marc Syp
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Marc Syp   Email Marc Syp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. It seems you guys mostly talk about 35mm but I know you all are familiar with 16mm as well. I hope someone can help, because I don't have any motion picture techs in my area.

I did a show recently in which the mono output of my Eiki projector was connected to a stereo power amplifier by using a splitter to send the audio to two channels. The only problem is that one side of the splitter went to the input of channel 1 and the other side went to the output of channel 2. When I turned on the projector (not knowing about the wiring situation), there was a soft pop and the lamp would not strike. The sound does still work (with correct wiring, duh). I tried relamping and that was not it. The lamp works in another projector and vice versa.

Any ideas on what went wrong and how to fix it? Do I need to send it to an Eiki tech or is there another way? There aren't a whole lot of motion picture techs here in St. Louis.

Thanks in advance,
Marc S.

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 07:23 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how your audio wiring mistake could be related to the lamp problem. Does the ignitor fire? If not, it sounds like you popped a fuse in your power supply. Sometimes an old one will pop just from the sudden inrush of current when you turn the machine on, especially if a slo-blo type has been replaced with a normal fuse. Find it, replace it, and if it happens again, then find what's causing the problem. Other things that pop include old capacitors and diodes. Start at the fuse and test your way through to the lamp.

Marc Syp
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Marc Syp   Email Marc Syp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't see how it was related either but if it wasn't then it was an extreme coincidence, because I had tested the lamp 30 seconds before connecting the audio.

I will check the fuses.

Thanks,
Marc

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eiki used USHIO as their power supply provider, but beware, there are several versions of the power supply as noted in the service manuals. The EX-4000 and EX-6000 had a line output transformer installed in the amplifier so you could connect the projectors' audio out to a house system safely.

Marc Syp
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 12:52 PM      Profile for Marc Syp   Email Marc Syp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI - I found a fuse that had blown. I swapped it out from another EX-2000A and it works fine again. Thanks for the tips.

As far as the line output transformer. Is there something I can use externally to do the same thing? I do a Christmas show every year in a 3000 seat theatre and any extra protection would be welcome.

Thanks.

Marc S.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best transformers come from Jensen
http://www.jensentransformers.com/
Also QSC and Peavey have good transformers as does the broadcast line of Hammond Manufacturing
http://www.hammondmfg.com/5caud.htm

If you can find them the old Altec Peerless transformers are good
If it is line level you probably want a 10K:10K one

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 11:15 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offense to Gordon's response, but in a pinch Radio Shack sells a line out adapter for around $20. You'll find it in their car audio section. One other suggestion would be to take the rear cover off the machine and you'll find a two-prong pin connector going into the amp. This is the output from the solar cell and you can easily route it into a theater's rack system if you wish. Alternatively, you can load it down with a 600 or so ohm resistor and get very nice results through the mic input of a decent PA amplifier.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: