Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Freddy vs Jason Anti-Piracy Measures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Freddy vs Jason Anti-Piracy Measures
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice the series of red "dots" in the film? They appear at random intervals throughout the print. Two scenes in particular

1) In the cornfield where the keg is cut open by Jason. Look at the left middle of the screen.

2) Where the daughter is arguing with her father on the stairwell in the house.

These are two of the scenes that I remember. I have no examined the film off the platter, as I didn't build it. These red 'dots" appear to be some sort of coding, but they are complete;ly visible to the eye. I can see them, my booth guys have seen them but when I questioned a patron whom I was sitting beside, they never saw them at all.

Anyone else care to add insight to this? I'm figuring it's another way of "coding" the prints so that bootleg versions can be more easily tracked down to regional locations?? We all know that most bootlegs come from screeners or employees with know-how anyway....

Anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the exact marks viewing the film yesterday. Those are anti-piracy marks hopefully making it possible to track the bootlegs videos to the originating prints. Good luck!!

Don

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the CAP code, but the guys at the lab are REALLY overdoing it these days! The markings on this print was downright distracting. You know it's bad when regular Joes off of the street notice.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be New Line's version of Cap Code. Cap Code was created by John Pytlak and his team to thwart evildoers. But Cap Code has an advantage and that's that it is hard to see unless you are looking for it. From the sounds of it, what New Line is doing is far more obvious and distracting. The only reason I can figure as to why they'd make it so visible is because most pirated movies end up on the net as a small crappy DivX file or whatnot. That may make it harder to see normal Cap Code, if you could even see it at all.

Of course if this is indeed copy protection, then it can easily be defeated. Since it is so easy to see, the movie pirate could just but up a "censor block" of some kind over the dots for those few frames so that the source can not be tracked down. Good idea but poorly implemented.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-16-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original CAP Code I helped Kodak develop for the MPAA could be repeated hundreds of time per reel, and never in the same place in the image, so simply cutting it out was impractical.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason why this new thing is pretty much ineffective.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as really annoying. I noticed this earlier tonight, and was both baffled and pissed off.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I at first thought this was some gimmick with the print, that they were blood splotches (kind of like the subliminal shots inserted in Fight Club) but I thought they were too small, and then as the movie went on I figured it out and became annoyed with them.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 05:46 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They weren't red on the print I saw. They were black and VERY distracting.

I saw real obvious ones that looked like Tetris playing pieces.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 11:23 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All 3 of our prints had it too, but I think we mostly noticed it in only reel 3?? The looked liked reversed and upside down "L"s made up of dots in a red-orange color. In dark scences it was very annoying. I wonder if anyone called these in as defective prints [Wink]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-17-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studios are probably baffled as to why the dots they've been using the prints aren't showing up in the downloadable versions of their films, so they're starting to make the dots darker. Maybe they should try coding their screener videos the same way.

Yes, I noticed it also. Bright blood red, about two dozen times (no exageration) in the third reel. Mine all appeared to be strategically placed quick brite spots - like lightning flashes. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe they should try coding their screener videos the same way.
I suggested this in a different thread. John Pytlak said that would be too difficult (or something along those lines -- not an exact quote).

If the studios really ARE interested in vaquishing piracy, which they are not, then they WOULD code the screener videos.... individually. And it would be like the Cap Code: Used in different parts of the screen, only throughout the ENTIRE video instead of just a single reel or two. But since the studios don't care much about piracy, they don't feel that it's worth the effort to do this and stop the culprits. So obviously the studios cannot be serious about this piracy thing.

How much more stupid can the studios get?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-17-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a print we ran recently (maybe HULK) that the image went completely white and BAM! there were the cap code dots. Thankfully, not on both prints in that spot, so that was the print that was despatched first.

Die Another Day was another one overloaded with cap code.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from ananova.com

Movie bosses have formed a task force to tackle a £400 million film piracy racket in the UK.

Piracy increased by more than 80% in the past year, according to figures from the Federation Against Copyright Theft - with copies mostly of poor quality and often funding organised crime.
Fake DVDs of the second Tomb Raider movie The Cradle Of Life are already on sale on British streets - even though the film doesn't receive its UK premiere until Tuesday.
The task force will be chaired by Nigel Green of the UK Film Council and includes representatives of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, UK film producers, distributors, cinema chiefs and Equity. Its aim is to map out the extent of the problem and spot long-term solutions, such as toughening up the law.
Officials from the UK Film Council, which has co-ordinated the Anti-Piracy Taskforce, found the Tomb Raider II DVDs for sale for £5 each in London's Oxford Street.
A spokesman said: "They were shocking quality and there was no sound for at least the first five minutes." Seizures in 2002 were double those of the previous year with 659,000 illegal copies at a potential value of £10 million recovered.
One seizure in Hornsey, north London, netted 100,000 DVDs, worth an estimated £1,425,000, as well as computer equipment, artwork, and DVD labels, according to FACT. The products were traced to the Far East.
Piracy is believed to have cost the UK film industry £400 million in the past year, FACT says. Illegal copies are often sold at car boot fairs and street markets. They are well packaged to look like the real thing but often suffer from poor sound, colour and clarity.
UK successes such as Bend it like Beckham, Gosford Park and 28 Days Later have all been targeted by pirates while Hollywood hits The Hulk, Terminator 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean have been on the streets before a cinema release.
Around one in three videos purchased in the UK are believed to be copies, and the number of DVDs is rocketing. Fakes, which can usually be spotted because they have no BBFC classification, often fund crime syndicates.
Story filed: 09:11 Sunday 17th August 2003

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-29-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There baaaack!

Really bad Tetris style markings now appearing in "Jeepers Creeprs 2"

This is really bad
THESE NEED TO BE STOPED NOW!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: