Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World 70mm showing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World 70mm showing
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from http://www.in70mm.com:
New 70MM print

40th anniversaries of the film's release and the opening of the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. (October 16-19, 2003).

This 70MM print is not restored with footage that was excised after the initial 70MM release, because the restoration is a long way from being completed, but there is a possibility that some restored 70MM footage may be shown at the opening night screening.

Best regards,
John Kirk
MGM Studios
Director, Technical Operations

|  IP: Logged

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope they restore more of the Classic Films in 70mm so people will be able to experience Film at it's Best [beer]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad they are always playing in california or the UK. When are we going to see some 5/70 up here dammit!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-17-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or over here where the sun rises first?

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem ia: Here in Pheonix AZ, there's NO 70MM houses left to
my knowledge. I ran the last 70MM print (OKLAHOMA) some twenty
years ago.

FJN

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here in Pheonix AZ, there's NO 70MM houses left to
my knowledge.

A sad situation that is not unique to the city of Phoenix.

quote:
I ran the last 70MM print (OKLAHOMA) some twenty years ago.
I imagine the last first-run 70mm engagement in Phoenix would have been Hamlet...at the Camelview in early 1997.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a look at the 70mm website in Paul's origonal post. Looking at the 1977 release dates of Star Wars 70mm Dolby no where was the El Dorado in Tucson, AZ mentioned. In fact, there was an advertisement for a theatre in Phoenix that advertised the only 70mm screening of Star Wars in 70mm Dolby in Arizona. I was 9 years old at the time, and went to see Star Wars at the El Dorado 3 times. The El Dorado was a huge 70mm 2 screen house equipped with Century JJs. I do remember 70mm Dolby advertised on the theatre marquee, and was even able to visit the then I.A.T.S.E. booth, and was in awe of the emensity of 70mm film. I need to research the AZ Daily Star and Tucson Citizen for further information. I did e-mail the powers to be at the 70mm website with this information.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I took a look at the 70mm website in Paul's original post. Looking at the 1977 release dates of Star Wars 70mm Dolby no where was the El Dorado in Tucson, AZ mentioned.
Will,

As the author of the article in question, I feel compelled to respond to your post. Or, put another way: I'll take the bait.

That's interesting that you believe the original "Star Wars" played in 70mm in Tucson. Perhaps they did run it in 70mm at some point in its run...but they certainly didn't open it in 70mm (a point which was emphasized in my companion article to that list on the www.in70mm.com site, "The Original First-Week Engagements Of Star Wars"). In fact, Tucson didn't even open "Star Wars" until its 11th week of release.

I wasn't able to research the Tucson engagement beyond December of 1977, and up till then the El Dorado was not advertising a 70mm engagement (or even 35mm-Dolby for that matter). Furthermore, in checking my Master List of Dolby-Equipped Theatres, the El Dorado in Tucson doesn't even show up at any point during the timeframe of the original run of "Star Wars" (May 1977 - September 1978). In fact, the first Tucson theatre to join the Dolby list was the Buena Vista, which showed up in December 1978 (I believe installed for "Superman").

Is there a chance you're confusing "Star Wars" with "The Empire Strikes Back"? "Empire" most definitely played at the El Dorado in 70mm (see the "Empire" 70mm list at www.in70mm.com ), and I have ads in my collection.

Please let me know what turns up in your search of the Tucson newspapers if you end up performing such a search. If it turns out that Tucson did in fact run the original "Star Wars" in 70mm at some point, I'll be pleased to add the data to my list. But understand I need documentation (newspaper ad, theatre booking notes, etc.). Until confirmation, however, I'm not inclined to modify the listing. Thanks for your interest...and understanding.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 08:06 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, do you know if Titanic played in Arizona in 70mm? It was the last film playing at the old Cine Capri in Phoenix before it was torn down, but I haven't been able to find out if it was 70mm or not.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mike, do you know if Titanic played in Arizona in 70mm?
There weren't that many 70mm prints struck for Titanic, and I do not believe Phoenix was among the places to get one. However, the 70s floated around quite a bit in second-run and special screening situations.

Why not simply look this information up on microfilm? Aren't there any libraries in Scottsdale?! Just kidding. [Smile] The library at Arizona State University carries both The Arizona Republic (Phoenix) and The Arizona Daily Star (Tucson) on microfilm as does the Historical Society in Phoenix.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah yeah, I know, but I figure you'd might know it off the top of your head since you seem knowledgable about it.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:53 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I remember seeing ads for Titanic Revisited 3-D in Phoenix, but am unsure about Titanic.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will--
The Cine Capri (original) DID in fact screen STAR WARS in 70MM
starting in May 1977 and ran it for one year and two months to
'sold out' audiences. And that was on 37 runs a week burning
up two prints during its run!! (Whew)

FJN

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Cine Capri (original) DID in fact screen STAR WARS in 70MM
starting in May 1977 and ran it for one year and two months to
'sold out' audiences. And that was on 37 runs a week burning
up two prints during its run!! (Whew)

Will was commenting on the El Dorado Theatre in Tucson, not the Cine Capri! His Phoenix comment had to do with how the Cine Capri was advertising "The Only Theatre In Arizona With Star Wars In 70mm Dolby!" and how that claim didn't match his memory.

Yes, the Cine Capri ran Star Wars in 70mm...but not until four months into its run. (For more deatils, read the Star Wars articles I mentioned a few posts ago here and here ) The entire Cine Capri run was indeed one year and two months (60 weeks), but the 70mm print was only for ten of those months (September 1977 - July 1978).

A July 12, 1978 Variety news item re the close of the Cine Capri run mentioned three prints being used up.

[ 08-20-2003, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason some theatres ran 70mm prints and didn't advertise was the fact there processors were not dolbys but in the case of Starwars EPRAD SUperStarScopes and later UltraStereo and SMart units
There were many 70mm prints screened here in Ontario that were restricted to not advertising as such because they could not use the word Dolby in there adds and in allcases the distributors just said don't use the 70mm word to protect themselves

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: