Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Awesome 3D festival in San Diego (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Awesome 3D festival in San Diego
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-15-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ultrastarmovies.com/3d.html

[ 10-18-2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Michael Schaffer ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-16-2003 02:05 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there!!! [thumbsup]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-16-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Condon of StereoVision has been carrying the 3D flag for many years as this format tends to reappear in 10 - 15 year cycles. He was involved in many of the over/under widescreen and side by side anamorphic 3D systems and tracking down features for reissues. I met him in the early 1970's as a poor film maker who was on the lookout for a wide angle lens for my 35mm Arriflex...he found one in his desk that was serviceable and sold it for less than average rental weekly rate [thumbsup] Micheal, have fun and make sure your prints are properly spliced and in frame....from a 3D freak [Wink]

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 09:52 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you'll also have a chance to meet me! [Big Grin] I'll be running the morning and afternoon shows. [thumbsup]

[ 08-16-2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Tim Turner ]

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Tim.
In regards the 3D screenings you will be operating at.
Would you let me know what types of optical systems are being used.
I operated at most of the 3D screenings in Adelaide when they were held . Used both types of flat Stereovision optics , being the combined prime lens and polarizer system in one common barrel, and the secondary separate polarizer system consisting of 2 adjustable prisms in a metal box which mounted on the prime backing lens. These were for top/bottom format.
Also we showed "House of Wax" many times (side/side) which was a flimsy plastic attachment which mounted on the existing Scope lens, the resultant image appearing in 1:33 ratio.
With the top/bottom type , be very careful not to "tear" the image, the images must be exactly level, there can be no vertical misalignment as the eye is very sensitive to such , and eyestrain will result. However the horizontal line up is not so critical, you can move the 2 images outwards and we found this actually improved the 3D effect.
As a matter of interest, "H O Wax" uses a standard Scope aperture plate, but top/bottom uses a much larger plate. If the scope plate is used there will be image cut off and dark top and bottom.
Finally as you would know as a professional, splicing is critical. If 2 holes out, reverse 3D occurs, if this happens rerack down or up 2 holes and image will correct. The frameline should be marked with a small diamond or will be thicker.
Best regards. John Spooner. South Australia.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, right now I know very little about whats going to be used. Perhaps Michael Schaffer would have more information at this point. But I'll be sure to ask lots of questions.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-17-2003 02:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will be using the separate polarizer box. We will hang the silver screen and do the alignment some time next week.
John - thanks for the splicing tips. Our staff at the location will have no problem at all preparing the prints, as they usually prepare all our prints very carefully and professionally.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the overunder 3d prints have a wedge shaped mark between the perf everyso many frames to mark the actual frame line
It is important to maintain the correct left eye right eye orientation by frameing correctly. Also it is very important ot have a very flat light field as well and also about 3times the ight level needed for standard presentations due to the light loss of the smaller frame size and the 2 sets of polarizers

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-18-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump!!!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-23-2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to unforeseen organisational problems, we decided to push the festival back into mid-October. Details will follow.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-25-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-17-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's on! Just saw "House of Wax" and met Tim.
Details on the festival are here !

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-18-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John from Australia wrote:

quote:
The frameline should be marked with a small diamond or will be thicker.
But I recall reading in a StereoVision document back in the 80s that the THIN LINE was actually the frameline and the THICK LINE was the left/right separator.

No?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-18-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right, Manny. None of the prints I have seen so far had any frameline markings at all. But generally it is not difficult to see the "septum" since it is usually a little more diffuse and also thicker than the actual frameline which is usually more clearly printed.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 08:05 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caught "Space Hunter" today...it's as campy as science fiction can get (but I'm no SF expert) and Molly Ringwald as a petulant teenager out of her element on an uncharted planet was a hoot.

Thanks to Tim and theatre GM Jess Ochoa for a booth tour afterward, and a big [thumbsup] to Michael for pulling it all off in spite of the challenges.

One thing though...some of the 3-D effects worked quite well, while others--in particular the hokey, fan-shaped movie title and "The End" tag--just turned to mush that my eyes just couldn't fuse together. Is this evidence of the limitations of the over-under process, or is it just my eyesight going south? [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: