Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New TES Reels

Author Topic: New TES Reels
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our prints of OPEN RANGE came on these.
Same design as the translucent reels, only made with better material this time around.

-

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that make is still being produced. They are not backwards compatible with the older style cores and more often than not they are clipped together so that the drive hole is not lined up with the drive hole in the core. Plus these fall apart worse than any of the other reels. [thumbsdown]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-14-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But they're better than the ones made of recycled horse dung Costner was insisting on. [evil]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got 'um, too. The bright orange color nearly blinded me when I opened the cans! [Eek!]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-15-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't they just go back to making one piece plastic reels? Oh wait that means integrity checkers would have to work for a change. What the hell was I thinking! [Roll Eyes]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-15-2003 10:27 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that film shipped on cores can be placed directly on reels without the need to wind it on to them. (I know you know that but newcomers may not.)

Hey, if the industry is soooooo concerned about the environment that we are willing to sacrifice the quality of our analog soundtracks then why don't they make a concerted effort to finally retire those old heavy metal shipping cases, the ones that weigh empty almost as much as the newer ones weigh full. How much energy is being wasted hauling those nitrate-era cases around?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Brad stated:

-

If they would turn the core about 180 degrees, it would line up.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 01:55 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I stated, along with several fellow Aussie colleagues, you blokes are too spoilt receiving prints on good spools.
Here in Oz our prints come in flimsy cardboard boxes which fall apart, no spools just cores.
And to top it off, film exchange personnel who certainly don`t care.
JohnSpooner.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: