Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Guard: end results (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Film-Guard: end results
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-14-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have searched the database and came up with a thousand references to Film-Guard; popular product, but not easy to find what I am looking for....

I had a 10 reel feature in our archives that had to go out "yesterday" for a special screening; when I opened the can I found a print that was very dirty and scratchy. I wanted to Film-Guard it before I shipped it out, but only had time to treat it by hand, not enough to run it through the regular Kelmar dry media cleaner on the projector. I do have a Neumade cleaning unit on the rewind table which I used instead on the Kelmar. I rewound it at a pretty good clip, coating the film with cleaner.

Question is, what is the end result on the film after cleaning with Film-Guard? Should the film wind up wet with a slick of the cleaner on it or should any remaining slick that is wet to the fingers be wiped off? Or do you leave it wet and let it disapate on its own? In other words, what is the film surface conditon -- slick with a coating or dry after the Film-Guard is soaked into the film and then buffed so it is no longer wet to the touch?

I left the film pretty wet. Will that show up blotchy on the screen? If so, should I tell the projectionist that he should pass the film through a clean cloth and wipe any excess off? The instructions mention that some blotchness will occur after the initial application, but then disappear after some runs. Is this a function of time (after the cleaner soaks in) or of evaporation (being exposed to the air during projection)? How do I hasten it. Since they will only be showing the film for a single prep preview before the actual audience screenings, there may not be time for the blotchiness to disapate -- what to tell them to do?

Frank

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-14-2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Frank!
From a user's perspective:
The film IS wet after you apply the stuff, which appears to be the whole point. It doesn't dissapate on its own for some time.

In our experience, the blotchiness that you get on first application is worse if you apply it with a cleaner as it's entering the projector. Running it through a cleaner on the bench, then loading it on the platter seems to lessen the effect. As the instructions say, subsequent passes are much less noticeable. By the 2nd pass or so, you won't see it at all, though the visual benefits are obvious by that time.

This stuff is something I wish we'd discovered much sooner. At this point, I wouldn't be without it.

Thanks to Film Guard, I've tossed all my WD40 cans away! (just kidding, Brad! [Eek!] )

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The streaking goes away merely after winding the film onto itself, such as onto the takeup platter or onto a reel. Bench cleaning between rewinds by definition will clear the streaks from being projected (blotches is the wrong word, unless you are seriously oversaturating the film). The film will stay wet for some time to provide the benefit of hiding scratches.

One pass will only lubricate. One pass does not clean. It is the second pass that starts pulling dirt off of the film. Subsequent passes pull off more and more dirt. However cleaning on the bench requires some thought to the process. It only takes 1 ounce to clean a feature film properly, and the "less is more" theory should be taken into account here. Also bear in mind that for the ideal results the pads on a media cleaning machine should only be soaked once a week. Many people cleaning on rewinds make that mistake and keep rewetting the cloth every time they rewind the print. If you oversaturate the print, you are actually preventing the FG from performing at it's peak level. Basically when cleaning on the bench just keep in mind how much of the solution and such would be used if you had a Kelmar cleaner mounted between rewinds.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, Brad,

First I think that FG is a great product. But I had chance to apply it by hand with very poor results. If you put so much you can see "blotches" on the screen, if you try to put less you made the print "streaky".

More, if the theater that will receive the print is no used to filmguard, I believe that they'll experience problems since the gate pressure has to be set higher with FG (at least it was so when I tried FG on my Vic5).

Bye
A

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, you are overdoing it. Less IS more. Please read the instructions that came with your kit thouroughly.

No more than 1 ounce per feature. If you are using more, you are overdoing it.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I now. What I'm saying is that it is very difficult to apply FG by hands without causing a mess... I can believe that with kelmar or similar product FG is almost magic... But by hands it is very very difficult.

I tried a bottle of FG two years ago when I worked at one screen cinema. Then the bottle opened by itself in my car and I was the first men in the world with a Filmguarded Car... [Big Grin]

Now I have three bottle of FG at Warner Village Cinemas but we use it to clean little piece of first movie (when you remove other's cinemas cue for example). I now that it is a very reductive use but my management don't want to buy me a kelmar.

Bye
A

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the media pads changed (they used to be blue, now they're white and much longer), I noticed that the amount of Film-Guard absorbed to cause complete saturation also increased. How much of the media pad am I using? One roll. I take one media pad roll to make two rolls to run on my Christie (Kelmar) cleaner. (I must have the low gearing because this method gives me a safe 3 hours of projection time.) To saturate those two "half rolls", I found that they use 1.5 ounces of Film-Guard, total. Recently I tried to apply only 1 oz. on my first showing and I got an unexpected result. The streaks were outlined in black! [Eek!] Since this was my first showing on what was not a new print, I assumed the black streaks were actually from a lab mistake. On the second showing, the streaks were gone (thankfully). I'm going to assume the black was dirt and that if I had used fully saturated media pads on the first showing, I would have only seen the normally clear Film-Guard streaks. Anybody else have this experience?

My other question is, how do theaters, that use Film-Guard week-after-week, allow for new applications of Film-Guard to be made. The instructions allow that the first showing should be an internal preview that will have the initial clear streaking. A week later when a new application of Film-Guard is made, won't that show be unacceptable to a paying audience? [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-15-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Once FG is on the print, the streaks are barely noticeable on a reapplication. I think you would have seen streaks outlined in black regardless on your other print. Sounds to me like the print was pretty dirty.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2003 07:39 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, same topic heading, different question.

I Film-Guarded an old 16mm B&W acetate print, 2 reels, and shipped it out to an other theatre. The projectionist who got it sent an email back saying that one reel ran so well he was "astonished" at how good it looked and how quietly it ran through the projector. The second reel, however had some sticky substance visible when looking at the side of the reel. I thought perhaps it could be a bit of extra Film-Guard that accumulated were I adjusted the feed supply on the Neumade Cleaner unit (off projector cleaning). I said it might be a bit wet to the touch so just use a clean cotton cloth and wipe it off. He said, no, it wasn't the same coating that was on the rest of the print, but a really sticky. gooy substance. He said it was where it looked like there had been some PerFix treatment of the sprocket holes.

There was Perfix work done by the original owner of the print and it was obviously done professionally because you could see it was applied perfectly - almost looked like it was part of the physical print. Now Film-Guard has never harmed any splicing tape, no matter what type, on any of the prints that I have used it on and I assumed that there would be no problem with Perfix tape.

Has there ever been any reports of FG desolving the Perfix tape or its adhesive, enough to make it ooz out of the edge of the print roll? Seems unlikely and I am wondering if this may be something else and the FG/Perfix combination is just a coincidence and I am jumping to conclusions.

Luckily the projectionist at was smart enough not to run the second reel and ask questions first. Since I am concerned about any sticky goo on the print, I had him FedEx it back and I will inspect it myself; luckily there is enough time before their engagment. I'll report back my findings. If it is Perfix or some other sprocket hole repair material that has been disolved by FG, it will be important to know. Then, on the other hand, something totally foreign may have come in contact with the print -- like someone's icecream cone from concessions.

To be continued.....

Frank

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any problems with FilmGaurd and splices/repaired sprockets.

My guess is that the repaired sections of the print probably had some old adhesive that had ooozed out to the edge and dried up years ago. The FilmGuarding probably just softened it up. I'd give the film another pass through FilmGuard, to see if that gack will come off.

Danny

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To qoute a popular C+W star "I like it, I love it ,I need some more of it"
The stuff is so good we ought to rename it WD-FG [Big Grin]

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I recall reading or hearing something to the effect that Perfix didn't adhere to the print as well as, say, good splicing tape.

Michael Trotochaud
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Michael Trotochaud   Email Michael Trotochaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've read here, I want to check something. If I am only going to show a print once, is it best to use FilmGuard on it between a set of rewinds rather than on it's way into the projector?

Here is my logic on this: A first time showing with an application of FilmGuard as the film enters the machine will show some streaking, however using FilmGuard between rewinds and allowing the film to wind on itself will eliminate the streaking of a future showing.

I understand that if you are going to show a film repeatedly it is probably best to use FilmGuard with each showing, but with a single viewing, you want the picture to be as good as possible.

Is my logic correct or am I missing something?

Mike

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-29-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in your one time situation between rewinds, but wind it twice. The first pass will only lubricate the film. Starting with the second pass, it will start cleaning.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-30-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, here's the results. Got the 16mm print back and yes, indeedy, the PerFix material was completely desolved and turned to a gooey substance. Now to be fair, I don't know if the repair material was indeed PerFix; the print lived at some point overseas, so whatever was used to repair nicked sprockets could have been some other brand.

The goo seems to come off completely with Ecco 1500 or 111-Tri. Last night I took some 35mm white Perfix and coated it with FG, wanting to see if it will do to known Perfix what it did to the stuff on the print. My guess is that it won't do anything to the real perfix and the stuff on the print is something else; will let you know in a day or two.

Frank

BTW, if that projectionist had run that mess through the projector, it would have been quite a disaster, for the machine as well as the print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: