Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Multiplex booth installation costs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Multiplex booth installation costs
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-12-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been curious as to what a typical installation rate would be for a multiplex on a per screen basis. What do some of you guys charge and what all does that include?

Assume it's for new equipment in a new building with full digital sound systems and the electrical contractors to do a lot of the crap work like running speaker and automation network wires.

What about speaker installation? Do you install the speakers or do the front-end guys do it or is the general contractor responsible for it? I've seen it any of those ways.

I'm not looking for an exact quote or anything. I'm just curious what you guys charge for labor installation rates on a per-screen basis.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-12-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They is alot of variables there
did the equipment get purchased from the installer or are they installing someone elses mess
Is the electrical and gen contractor obligated to follow the installation drawings by the installer
and where si it and what travel and lodgeing costs are involved

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-12-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Also assume the following:

The installer sold the equipment to the theater, the electricians are to follow the directions of the installer and the theater is local to the installer. The projector and console are pre-wired and the sound rack is unassembled.

Would you assume that all these assumptions are assumably average assumptions? [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-12-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Gordon, let's assume the equipment was purchased elsewhere, but to your specs and is all in the booth in the boxes when you arrive for the install.

Take in consideration that you would probably have to spend some hours on the phone in advance of the install with suppliers & vendors.

The speakers and screen are installed by other vendors and all the wiring is all pulled per YOUR specs by the contractors and YOU check to make sure all is installed correctly.

You must terminate all signal & control wires. The electrical contractor is responsible for terminating all line-voltage connections.

You must build the racks on site, install and align the single 35mm projector and platter.

Assemble, align & tune the audio system and meet SMPTE and THX specs for both pic & audio. (Assuming the equip as delivered is as YOU spec'd)

The location is an US/Canada location and the Per Diem for all members of "your" crew includes the hotel and eats, but not the travel.

You have a reasonable time-table for the install time and there are NO complications, but you MUST budget for the "unknown" anyway.

What am I missing in this "contract"? [Razz]

Quote me a package or daily price all of yous!

>>> Phil

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-12-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll bite. Ballpark figure--about $5k USD per screen.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-12-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would you assume that all these assumptions are assumably average assumptions?

So Adam, do you like get a dollar from Brad everytime you get to use a word that has "ass" in it?

>>> Phil

Bud Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Bud Shepard   Author's Homepage   Email Bud Shepard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We structure our pricing according to equipment condition and whether the installation will lead to a full projection room contract after completion. Gordon is correct in his previous statement about variables on the job. NCS always does a flat rate per screen on all new installations. Pricing is well below $5,000 per screen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-13-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love that comment above that NCS does it for less than 5K. Of course you get the cigarette butts and other garbage in the bottom of the rack from them at N/C! You also forgot one important point....... After you call in another tech to straighten out what they didn't do properly you will be paying at least 5K by then!

Here at CLACO we charge 45.00 per man hour for installation. This type of charge eliminates the hassles of where the equipment came from, weather it was new or used, problems with the electrical contractor(all too common), or problems with thegeneral contractor. This rate is for projection and sound installation. Auditorium rates are different. From our experience, and with the experienced people that we have on staff we've founf that it ususally ends up costing our customers less.
Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-13-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mark, that seems on the low side....especially for quality work.

>>> Phil

Bud Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Bud Shepard   Author's Homepage   Email Bud Shepard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've done numerous installations in and out of this country and I can assure you that I've always left a clean, fully-functional projection room. I don't even smoke and I've never had a tech working with me at National Cinema Service who did smoke and left butts around. Now, I can't speak for the other trades on construction sites. I'd be willing to list some of our installation sites for you if you wish to verify our professional standards. Please remember that NCService and NCSupply are two separate companies.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-14-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my "past" life as a cinema equipment dealer with in house crews, upstairs and front end, our average install per booth was around $3600.00 minimum. We prefabricated most systems in our shop and did the custom work in the field. On more complex projects we had a project coordinator, ramp up the project as other trades and deliveries allowed, switch in and out teams as the project ebbed and flowed, coordinate with the architect and contractor, work until a week past opening day for training and debugging and always hit the opening date. We would schedule a follow up visit 45 - 60 days later before we would consider the project closed. My last project, a 14 plex, had a bill of $72,000.00 with per dium expense, for booth / front end / electrical pre-wire on a 75 day schedule.
A long story was the next project with higher equipment pricing, but with an installed cost of of 50% less from another vendor, we lost that project. The project missed their opening date by weeks.....hard for two guys trying to do the work of 4 to 5 in 100+F degree heat [Smile] .
Bud Shepard supervised a project that I had in Argentina which had much vendor equipment problems and the end result was very, very satisfactory.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We charge a flat $45.00 Ca per hour time and materials

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 12:34 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, you are not only well dressed but cheap too!

$45 CAN = $32.56 US

Hell, the hourly rate for the punk who installed my kick-ass, car stereo yesterday was $50 US. I could afford to fly you down here, have you work on my theatre and feed you wine, for the price of a US service technician.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any complaints in regards to NCS techs in this neck of the woods. [Smile]
In fact, I spent a little over three years working in a booth that Bud helped assemble (with a few other gentlemen that are also film-techers). [thumbsup]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-16-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know several of the New England NCS engineers, including Bud Shepard. And, from having serviced booths they installed, and knowing the happy customers in that area, rest assured Bud and his crew are well-respected and widely considered without peer.

Okay, people, what's with this $45 an hour business?! When I left this job, billable work was no less than $65 an hour! Don't give it away! Don't forget, the theatres CAN afford you now, since they don't have to pay those high union projectionist wages anymore!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: