Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » X-L Users: How Often Do You Clean Behind The Shutter?

Author Topic: X-L Users: How Often Do You Clean Behind The Shutter?
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that summer is winding down and were back to fall running times, I'm catching up on some much-needed maintenance. Would like to know how often those of you with Simplex X-L heads totally remove the shutter for proper cleaning? A few years back our tech cautioned me not to do this, but the dust and oily grime that builds up is to much to overlook. I value this guy's advice, however, he is also a businessman who wants calls for broken equipment. So how often . . . every month, six months, once a year?

(Oh and John if you're lurking out there --- I'm sure your be getting some calls after the management transition we spoke of the last time you were up here).

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is actually to prevent calls your technician advised not to remove the shutter.

When I operated Simplexs regularly, we didn't remove the shutter but weekly cleaned behind it. All it takes is a tooth bush and a vacuum to go behind the air fins. If you keep your projectors cleaned regularly rather than let it build up, then it isn't really ever a chore...same goes for the platter decks...it is easier to keep them clean than to wait until the grime is visible.

Steve

[ 08-09-2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve on this one in that the technician wished to avoid future service calls. Most of us are overbooked enough now, as it is.

One thing you might want to check though: the tie-wraps securing the framing light and aperture changer motor wires. These secure the wires running along the upper shutter-housing screw shaft to their appropriate locations.

We have found over the years that the original white tie-wraps are adversely affected by the ultra-violet light from the arc, and become as brittle as bone china, and subsequently break.

In this instance, the wires can be dragged down between the projector housing and shutter, forcing the shutter away from the housing and causing all sorts of problems.

The cure is to replace these with the black (ultra-violet light resistant) tie-wraps (available (here in Canada anyways) inexpensively from Home Depot).

Same cure applies to holding the line to the exhaust air-switch line up in the Highlight II consoles.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-10-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I clean mine when needed.

William H. Ward
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for William H. Ward   Email William H. Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dust/dirt build-up on a shutter blade can cause a flicker on the screen. Recommend cleaning often (weekly) if possible. Canned compressed air and a computer service vaccum works great.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on a weekly schedule with cleaning the shutter. As long as you keep to a tight regiment of using a small vacuum, compressed air and a good rag on it, the buildup you're referring to will no longer be a problem. You could probably even make it a nightly thing when you're cleaning off the rest of the unit, if you wanted to. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: