Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » other people's i.d. frames

Author Topic: other people's i.d. frames
Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at an art house and get all used prints. Often there are multiple i.d. frames left on the leader, but they've been left by different people as the film has passed through many hands. What I'm saying is that I've found up to 4 or 5 i.d frames attached to the head that each have an individual splice holding one frame on. Has anyone else run into this. What do you do, do you leave what's there with the mess of a couple different theaters splices in a row or do you cut out the frames leaving just the last i.d. frame on the head and forget about the missing frames?

phil

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave the one ID frame that is attached to the head and throw all of the others away! That becomes a haven for a bad wind onto the shipping reel that could cause further damage, plus if a changeover theater ever ran that through the projector the results would look godawful.

"Answers within 3 minutes, guaranteed!" [Wink]

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a copy of Star Trek VI for a private screening that had much the same problem. That was aggrivating but there was something else even more troubling. Anyone familiar with the movie will remember the little autograph session just before the credits. A number of projectionists had cut single frames out of film for each autograph. It looked awful on screen.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-09-2003 04:07 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There may be a law about not being able to assinate leaders of other countries, but it doesn't say anything about not assinating the lazy SOBs who do these hatched jobs, does it? [evil]

Frank

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are laws against petty theft, but unfortunately none to protect us from someone who's just a dumb [bs]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-11-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I opined in another thread, anyone that deliberately takes "souvenir" frames from a film should be banned from projection. [Mad]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 09:46 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
anyone that deliberately takes "souvenir" frames from a film should be banned from projection
When I bought the contents of the booth of an old drive-in theatre in east Tennessee several years ago, I found buried in a desk drawer, a large manilla envelope "stuffed" with 3" - 4" film strips that were cut from the feature films. Upon closer examination of the contents of the frames... the projectionist had clipped out the "Good Stuff" [sex] for his own private collection. You could tell by the hair styles that most of this stuff was probably from the mid-70's. I only looked at the hair styles... honest! [thumbsup]

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 12:22 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, that may have been for self censorship. And then, maybe not. I remember in the late 60s that theaters in Dallas would likely cut nudity out because it may not have seemed appropriate for general audiences (even though it already had a R rating).

Then there's those darn kisses in "Cinema Paradiso". [thumbsup]

I've been mad hearing about a projectionist stealing frames off a 70mm print of "Oklahoma!". [Mad]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-12-2003 04:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you must have a "souvenir", carefully take a photograph of the frame while winding through the film, but NEVER cut it out of the print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: